Distorted Brooks saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Following a fall a week ago (8l00dy wet leaves and mud) I have very slightly distorted the frame of my Brooks B17 such that it's a tad down on one side.;)
Not badly, but enough for it to feel a bit strange.
Any ideas how to straighten this, please?
Or should I not worry about it?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
piece of wood and a hammer?

ASC1951

Guru
shauncollier said:
piece of wood and a hammer?
From the little I know about engineering, that's not a good idea. It only works on things that need a shock - typically, the quill stem wedge on an older bike. If you try it on springy metal like Brooks saddle rails, it will just bounce off until you use enough muscle to snap the rail.

No, what you need is gradual force. Maybe a piece of wood, but probably a metal bar with a cloth round it to stop it skidding. You will need to choose your leverage point with care.

tyred

Legendary Member
I fail to see how rain could distort the frame of the saddle. It's steel after all. Are you sure the leather hasn't stretched and sagged?

tyred

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
It was his fall that bent the saddle frame, not the wet.

Memo to self: Read posts properly.

In which case, if it's too badly distorted to live with, I would use a bar or large screwdriver pushed through from the back, levering down on the opposite rail and try and pull it upwards. It will need to be pulled up "too" far as it will spring back a little after the pressure is released.

MartinC

Über Member
It's all personal and I don't know what sort of mileage you do but riding a distorted saddle may not be a good idea. If your pelvis is slightly twisted it may strain something somewhere else.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
ASC1951 said:
From the little I know about engineering, that's not a good idea. It only works on things that need a shock - typically, the quill stem wedge on an older bike. If you try it on springy metal like Brooks saddle rails, it will just bounce off until you use enough muscle to snap the rail.

No, what you need is gradual force. Maybe a piece of wood, but probably a metal bar with a cloth round it to stop it skidding. You will need to choose your leverage point with care.

i am an engineer originally. it is only a steel frame, it will take more force than you think. after all it was an impact force that originally caused the distortion. perhaps a tea towel under the wood to help reduce marking the leather

02GF74

Über Member
it's gonna bug you, every time you sit on it.

should be esay enough to unbend it as it most likley has steel alloy frame, the probklem is how to grab the rail and which way to bend it.

since I no longer have a brookes, I do'lt know the answerto that. loosen the leather top or remove if possible first before bending.

Top Bottom