Ditched my clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srj10

Guru
Ditched my clipless pedals ,fine on road but couldn`t get used to them off road,so I am now searching for flat shoes.Five tens look good but are pricey any alternatives?

I've been using the same pair of Specialized Rockhopper shoes on the MTB for 12 years and they're still going strong.
So I can vouch for the brand. Good with flats, useful if you get tempted to Eggbeaters (which I did, then went back to flats).

They may be pricey but I'd go for the Five Ten Impact 2 Low, best flat shoe around imo. Combine these with a good set of pedals ( Burgtec Penthouse Flats if you don't mind the cost ) and you'll have outstanding grip.

Cubist

Still wavin'
You could save some brass by heading for some Nike skate/BMX shoes, like the Twilight or Mogan. I have a pair of Mogans from Le Cod Sportif (Sportworld direct) for about £40. They grip well, but don't have as much padding on the front of the foot, and aren't as robust. Fine for dry summer rides which is why I bought them.:angry: Guess how often I wore them last summer!)

Other well-reviewed shoes are Teva Links.

Motozulu

Über Member
There are lots of folk that use flats on the mtb, perhaps more than peeps who have spd's - means not a jot. You wear what suits you best.

screenman

Legendary Member
The point is I felt it a shame the OP will not get the benefits of being clipped in, the rest was an honest statement.

02GF74

Über Member
**** Danny Hart is DH racer, most DH racers use flats so they can get their legs out quickly to stop falls plus DH is not really about pedalling but more just staying upright.

now xc riding that requires pedalling, clipless pedals are more efficient, especially when going up hill (something that DH don't' do or it'll be called D&U racing).

screenman

Legendary Member
Danny Hart wears flats...........

Are you sure, here is a picture of his bike.
p4pb7149282.jpg

Radchenister

Veteran
Each to his own ; generally, clipless benefits climbing (if you know how) and consistent foot position, flats etc. allow flexibility of movement and facilitate rapid / easy positioning, so you can manipulate the bike.

Not a subject to warrant wafting hand bags over IMHO ... enjoy :biggrin: !

Cubist

Still wavin'
I use both. Depends on mood, surface, bike, journey, weather, current price of sprouts.....

I have had as many hairy moments on either system, dabbing is no slower clipped in than otherwise once you've got used to SPD, and I can think of several occasions where being clipped in has an advantage.... little hops, endo turns, steep sided narrow ruts where all of a sudden you can't get a full pedal stroke in so you can toe tap or even pull up to keep going.

However, with the right shoe and flat pedal combination you will feel just as connected to the bike, the only real difference being you can't pull up from the base of the pedal stroke. You also have to learn to do proper hops and endos etc, so your skilz gets better innit.

OP, don't write off SPDs too soon, but then again don't beat yourself up if you don't get on with them.

Top Bottom