Ditched my clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you need a special shoe? I use a boot or a walking shoe. Good grip, stiffer sole and available in tk Maxx for not a lot.

screenman

Legendary Member
You can cycle in bare feet if you want to, clipped in or not just enjoy your riding.

For me I like the feeling of being clipped in, feels like I am part of the bike rather than something on the bike. I would say that not having the cleats fitted properly could put some people off them. As I am sure some people may not have the brain to feet co-ordination needed to clip in or un-clip.

Now it would be nice for a few words from the people who did honestly try them and gave up, what made them give up.

lukesdad

I put some flats on the M4 last week in the snow,and found it quite fun. First time ive ridden without clips in years. Dead handy when I launched the bike in disgust on one downhill :laugh:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Me too. Hated them. Perfectly happy with a grippy pedal and rubber soled shoes. Currently using either DMR V8 or 12,s and feet feel like they are stuck to the pedals.
I have the same pedals (but wellgo branded), they are incredibly grippy with rubber soled shoes even in the wet. Do you have any problems with them cutting up your shins, usually while pushing the bike or am I just incredibly clumsy? :smile:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have the same pedals (but wellgo branded), they are incredibly grippy with rubber soled shoes even in the wet. Do you have any problems with them cutting up your shins, usually while pushing the bike or am I just incredibly clumsy? :smile:

I have caught myself on the pins occasionally if I'm not careful. Not so much when riding but manouevering the bike indoors.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I use Teva Links shoes - not cheap but comfy summer and winter with plenty of grip for scrambling over slippery rocks. Ignore the 'repels water at a molecular level' hype - when they get wet through they take a while to dry out. As long as you don't start wearing them off the bike (I said they're comfy) they should last a long time. Mine have no discernible wear after 1 year/1,000 miles.

flying start

Veteran
Teva links get good reviews never used them my self but they feel light and look well made!

Five10 are a well branded name been out there for years very grippy

But be waned thee soloed will not last that long on both shoes listed with my five10 free rides the soles have stated to chew up where the pins sit

Saying that I use dmr vaults with very long pins best peddles out there I think

You'll be best buying some skater shoes Or some with flat rubber soles when I first started I used a old set of Adidas trainers did the job for two seasons

You could always take your bike down to a good LBS and ask the to set the clipless peddles to how you ride

Well, being new to MTB I'm slowly getting feckered off with my own system, but also because I'm not sure what the best way forward is...?

I have only a pair of SPD-SL Mavic road shoes which are remarkably resilient but are, make no mistake, being wrecked slowly with all the mud and gore of Ashton Court trails, however friendly they are.

But, I don't use my Ultegra pedals with them, oh no. I learnt after the 2nd ride that the dirt accumulated made them impossible - lesson learned, you don't want to do it like that etc But, I had an old pair of Look Arc pedals which also work with the SPD-SL cleats (they're not supposed to) but they click in and out a lot easier than they should, with the added bonus of not getting as irretrievably clogged with mud as the Ultegra pedals do one-mile into the trail.

I can't keep with the system though - the Mavic shoes will be dead very soon if I do and so I'm looking for an alternative...? Last weekend I went out on the Saturday and a fellow rider pulled me up and proclaimed that I was the first rider he'd ever seen with an SPD-SL system! So, I explained the above. He had some Shimano M520 pedals and they look like the way forward - any good to any of you who might use them?

My point being, I'm interested in the OP and how you get on with the flats because I just can't see that I could have it any other way than a clipless system, but I may be wrong. Be interested in how you get on SRJ10..?

OP
OP
S

srj10

Guru
Thanks for the replies,been out twice on my local track with flat pedal/trainer combo and definitely feel more confident going at speed and over any rough terrain.I think it's just knowing that I can put my foot down for stability when needed,where I feel clips have an advantage is on a straight flat section or uphill climb and the power transfer is definitley noticeable and I get a little pedal slip with ordinary trainers.

Top Bottom