Ditchling Beacon Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoom

Über Member
rich p said:
Not this year. I've done it twice so by way of a change last year I and 2 friends went and did Alpe d'Huez and this year we're doing Mont Ventoux. I loved the Ardechoise though for scenery, support and sun. I managed to get on the local radio singing that blinking song with the bloke who wrote it!

oh yeah that song :sad: I had to endure it live in 2005 while waiting for the raffle.

Hope to do Ventoux after L'Ardechoise (Sucs) this year. I did La Marmotte 2 years ago, brilliant but strictly a one-off (like PBP :smile:)

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did the Telegraph and Galibier the day after doing Alpe d'Huez and the Sarenne and I found it tough enough to realise that La Marmotte is probably beyond me now! Malheureusement!

Zoom

Über Member
rich p said:
I did the Telegraph and Galibier the day after doing Alpe d'Huez and the Sarenne and I found it tough enough to realise that La Marmotte is probably beyond me now! Malheureusement!

You certainly need to keep up a good rhythm to get back in time but the other 7000 riders certainly helps; by the time I got to the top of the Glandon most of the fast boys had passed me so it was easy to get into a group going at my pace.

some photos here;
http://www.egcc.net/images/marmotte-06/

Joe

Über Member
Timed myself on the beacon today.
I clocked 6:30 exactly (carpark to carpark) and it was about 25 miles into my 78 miler.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Joe said:
Timed myself on the beacon today.
I clocked 6:30 exactly (carpark to carpark) and it was about 25 miles into my 78 miler.

Well done Joe, that's good going. I was about a minute slower than that on Saturday. Something for me to aim at if I don't die in the process!

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
rich p said:

When did you do the Sarenne?

I last did it in 1991, I think, and the surface was very poor in places, with streams flowing across the road rather than through culverts. Was it like that when you were there?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Foghat said:
When did you do the Sarenne?

I last did it in 1991, I think, and the surface was very poor in places, with streams flowing across the road rather than through culverts. Was it like that when you were there?

It was June 2007 and very hot and very dry. The road surface wasn't great at first but okay after a short while but I can imagine that it would be 'interesting' in the rain! It was a nicer way back to Bourg though than just turning round on Alp d'Huez. I, unfortunately, missed the right turn towards the bottom so I missed a route along the mountain side on a narrow road. Did you see this route/

Foghat

rich p said:
It was June 2007 and very hot and very dry. The road surface wasn't great at first but okay after a short while but I can imagine that it would be 'interesting' in the rain! It was a nicer way back to Bourg though than just turning round on Alp d'Huez. I, unfortunately, missed the right turn towards the bottom so I missed a route along the mountain side on a narrow road. Did you see this route/
No, we didn't explore past the col itself, as the surface seemed to get worse the further we got from the ski station. Back then, our 23c tyres would not have appreciated going further. What's the descent to Bourg d'Oisans like?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Fast and fun after and well worth it. The minor road I missed, winds it's way across the mountain side and meets the Alpe road a short way up but I hacked along the main road back to Bourg.

Joe

Über Member
Foghat said:
I used to live very close by. Once, while trying to get some hill training for a pass-storming trip to the French Alps, I did it ten times in a row, without stopping, in an attempt to replicate the long efforts required on the Galibier, Iseran, Bonette, Izoard etc etc. On hearing this, a friend promptly went and did it eleven times - I never got around to doing twelve!
I joined the 10 time club this morning:biggrin:
I stopped for a few seconds to have a drink at the top a couple of times but essentially it was non stop. Ouch! No idea how long it took but I was really struggling by the ninth goxx( Still getting used to the move from triple to compact double, I used to spin up sitting down but there was a lot of standing involved this morning:laugh:
I saw someone riding up there with their kid on the back seat too, that looked tough!!

Joe

Über Member
The beacon. I've done Bostal three times in a row but I don't think I'm up for ten times....yet ;)

Foghat

Joe said:
I joined the 10 time club this morning:biggrin:
I stopped for a few seconds to have a drink at the top a couple of times but essentially it was non stop. Ouch! No idea how long it took but I was really struggling by the ninth goxx( Still getting used to the move from triple to compact double, I used to spin up sitting down but there was a lot of standing involved this morning:laugh:
I saw someone riding up there with their kid on the back seat too, that looked tough!!

Good man! You know it makes sense. Next time do it with 42x21 lowest gear like me! :biggrin:;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Zoom said:
There are a lot nastier ones over near Midhurst; Bexley Hill and Quell Lane to name 2, used to feature on the (now defunct) Sussex Corkers

didn't the Sussex hill climb go up another one near Storrington which stops at a car park?

I'm going to miss the club run to Shoreham via Steyning Bostal ;)

thanks for raising this one Will, looks like Zoom is referring to the hills the Garminator led us to on the way home. Quell Lane rings a bell but the really nasty one doesn't seem to have a name on google maps, maybe Aperitif can supply via the Garmin.

Wish I'd timed myself for DB now, would like to think I beat 10mins, but honestly have no idea, it felt like hours, but I recovered quickly so couldn't have been too long. I'd consider anthying between 1.5 to 2 x your time, respectable for me.

Top Bottom