Ditchling Beacon Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting thread - 10 times up, 11 times, twelve... a piece of cake!
3 times before breakfast with kms under the belt was nice to see Will - the café would be serving dinner by the time you had done 13!

Regarding our route back on Saturday, we traipsed through Arundel towards Bignor

25zh6af.jpg

Stopping for a walnutbreak- big Al sees the signs

2dl4whx.jpg

the English landscape

- along Haslingbourne Lane toward Petworth, Midhurst ROad, Upperton Rd where we arrived at Lurgeshall, where my spatio-directional difficulties took hold. The landscape was perfect; village green, beautiful houses, a shop, a pub and sun. Magnificent location.

ejwztu.jpg

Lurgeshall village green. Clarty hack posing.

Following that, it was 'dial in Farnborough' and follow the trail. Well, Fernden Lane pounced on us. First, a poxy pi$$ poor gravelly escalade which went on for ages then, following ' local advice' (bloke and daughter on MTB correlating with my mate Garmin) we hit a beast. When my front wheel parts company from the route, it is time to breath deeply. (What's more, I couldn't get into the granny as I rarely change gear on that bike usually :angry:) The local forgot to mention that they like to take their bikes for a walk up the hill. So, onwards and literally upwards...

fogbxt.jpg

MacBludgeon mounts another mountain!

357ep1t.jpg

more countryside

2re79cp.jpg

Around here are some juicy climbs. Bring yer granny!

The Hogs Back, Devils Punchbowl etc - loads of beautiful scenery which made any screw ups worthwhile. For once Volvo and Daf trucks were absent, replaced by chocolate box houses and impressive paddocks.
I did a search for Fernden Lane and got this http://www.theaa.com/walks/black-down-green-sussex-fading-into-blue-421114 - flippin' steep is all I can add.

(Plenty of 64kph freewheels downhill though :smile: - daren't pedal!)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Great pics Big Man, you really captured Lurgeshall green and the cricket etc. Also evidence of how I've learnt to stop Davy drafting me uphill, just pedal harder he can't keep up:biggrin: But you both put me to shame on the downhills, I spent so much time on the brakes I thought they'd wear out.

In all seriousness I'd love to do a loop round that way again, just not after riding all night. Think those hills are definitely better tackled fresh.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
MacBludgeon said:
Wish I'd timed myself for DB now, would like to think I beat 10mins, but honestly have no idea, it felt like hours, but I recovered quickly so couldn't have been too long. I'd consider anthying between 1.5 to 2 x your time, respectable for me.

Luckily for you, MacB, I timed you up DB and you did 14m 22s. Never mind, mate, you did your best and that's all we ask:evil:

MacB

rich p said:
Luckily for you, MacB, I timed you up DB and you did 14m 22s. Never mind, mate, you did your best and that's all we ask:evil:

sub 15, works for me, it can only get better, shame that you're at the 'on your way out' end of the chronological scale:evil:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
MacBludgeon said:
sub 15, works for me, it can only get better, shame that you're at the 'on your way out' end of the chronological scale:evil:

Sadly, you're right but cruel of you to make it public:biggrin:

MacB

rich p said:
Sadly, you're right but cruel of you to make it public:biggrin:

ah, but I knew you could take the slap down, just like I know you'll bide your time and then I'll get the internet version of a wet kipper round my face:biggrin:

Don't worry rich, the young can't keep up with us old people of the same age.:biggrin:
They're probably rubbish in the pub as well. I was priveleged to chat to one of the barmaids at (one of ) Davywalnut's locals "The Monkey's Forehead".(I kid you not)

She said they had put a bar in the Gents to save him time...

Kids today! :smile:

Ha ha - nice one Andrij :smile:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The Monkey's Forehead!

That's a bit of a howler! Still, I suppose a bit of gibbon take is in order.

Radius

SHREDDER
Might as well own up to my time, am eager to do this again sometime because I'm sure I can beat my fairly average 7 mins 9 secs.

MacB

Radius said:
Might as well own up to my time, am eager to do this again sometime because I'm sure I can beat my fairly average 7 mins 9 secs.

Get your parents to move to Lurgeshall and then just do the hills around there. Next time you go to DB it should seem quite straight forward.

See, see what I had to put up with, I've got DavyW vanishing to the toilet and leaving me on my own with RichP and Aperitif, two of the oldest kids I've ever met:biggrin:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
MacBludgeon said:
Get your parents to move to Lurgeshall and then just do the hills around there. Next time you go to DB it should seem quite straight forward.

See, see what I had to put up with, I've got DavyW vanishing to the toilet and leaving me on my own with RichP and Aperitif, two of the oldest kids I've ever met:biggrin:

Apparently if you gave me and Aperitif a typewriter and a million years we'd come up with a coherent post!
(I can't say the same about Bonj)

Top Bottom