Ditchling Beacon Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
allright kids, that's enough!!!

clivedb

Guru
Nice pictures of Sussex. My parents used to live in the village next to Lurgashall - Lodsworth. The pub in Lurgashall is strongly recommended, while the village green is the scene of Johnny Rotten's most notorious behaviour:

clivedb said:
Nice pictures of Sussex. My parents used to live in the village next to Lurgashall - Lodsworth. The pub in Lurgashall is strongly recommended, while the village green is the scene of Johnny Rotten's most notorious behaviour:

Excellent Clive! Do you know the lumpy bit that we traversed on Saturday...towards Haslemere?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It wsn't quite so clement at the top of DB today....

DSCN2146.jpg

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
that's the Beacon for you. I've been up it in fog, in hail that turned my legs purple, and some friends did it in snow - in April. And who of us who did the first FNRttC of 2008 will want to forget the horizontal hail as we came off the hill that turned the right side of our faces numb in seconds.

7min 05 in (iirc) 2003. On a hybrid. Back in the 70s (Aperitif pulls up a chair to the fire, reaches for his slippers and pipe, and tunes in to Sports Report da-dan-da-dah, da-dan-da-dah, da-dan-diddly-dan-da-dah) I was doing it on a 42/19, but I would have never got close to a 44/17.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Freudy!! Ouch:biggrin:
You should get a new Sig(mund) line:wacko:

I was crossing it on the south downs way today so I didn't have to climb it, thankfully.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Will1985 said:
I couldn't help myself when I found this thread :sad:

5:55
Hrm. It's never even occurred to me to time it before, but I guess I was about 10-15 seconds behind you on your first attempt? Something to aim for next time, anyway

toontra

Veteran
dellzeqq said:
And who of us who did the first FNRttC of 2008 will want to forget the horizontal hail as we came off the hill that turned the right side of our faces numb in seconds.

Ah yes! I still have a strong mental picture of the row of cyclist in front of me leaning over at about 20% into the sidewind, but at the same time trying to protect their exposed parts from the onslaught of hail. :sad:

FWIW I found my tracklog of that ride and the Beacon took 7.55 (park to park).

Will1985

Über Member
coruskate said:
Hrm. It's never even occurred to me to time it before, but I guess I was about 10-15 seconds behind you on your first attempt? Something to aim for next time, anyway
A lot more than that I'm afraid - I'd cycled up to the car park, got off and walked the bike back to that mound and taken a drink before you reached me. Maybe 30-40 seconds?

Top Bottom