Diverge E5 Elite Vs Pinnacle Arkose D2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mersey54

Good morning. I am looking to buy a new bike and it has been suggested to me to get a gravel bike. I have narrowed my choices down to the Specialized Diverge E5 Elite and the Pinnacle Arkose D2 ( partly due to the fact that there is very little availability for bikes at the moment and these two are in stock). I am a new cyclist so need a bit of help to make my decision please.

I will be using the bike for mainly cycle paths, a bit of road, basically a little of everything but not extreme mountain bike trails and I would like it to last me a few years. So being a novice, it appears to me that the Diverge and D2 have similar spec - hydraulic brakes and Tiagra groupsets. They also are relatively similar in geometry so I think that I could find both comfortable.

The Diverge is £1299 and the D2 £1025. The cost isn't much of a factor for me as I can use my C2W scheme for either option and would be willing to pay the extra £275 for the Diverge if it is a "better" bike.

Any help would be massively appreciated. Thank you. Links below for ease.

https://www.infinitycycles.co.uk/35...-e5-2020-gravel-bike-greycast-battleship.aspx

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-d2-2020-women-s-gravel-bike-EV339954

vickster

Legendary Member
Just to note you’ve linked the Women’s Arkose, so if you’re Male, you may want to budget for a saddle change :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Haha, I'm female so all is well.......
Just to note, in your links, the Pinnacle is only showing in M or L (tall) while the Specialized in small sizes 44/48 (other retailers may have other sizes).
How tall are you as the Specialized in those sizes would perhaps be suited to under 5’5 ish and the Pinnacle 5’5 or more

OP
OP
M

Mersey54

Just to note, in your links, the Pinnacle is only showing in M or L (tall) while the Specialized in small sizes 44/48 (other retailers may have other sizes).
How tall are you as the Specialized in those sizes would perhaps be suited to under 5’5 ish and the Pinnacle 5’5 or more
I'm sorry, just to provide more info. I have been fitted for a Medium in Evans (sat on it and the member of staff checked my position) in the Pinnacle and I have a deposit paid on a 52cm Diverge so it is not showing as in stock on the webstie in that size. My deposit for the Diverge is refundable and the staff have allowed me a few days to make my decision. I also had a ride on the Diverge in the car park and the 52 is comfortable. Thanks.

OP
OP
M

Mersey54

Have you ridden the Pinnacle?
No, unfortunately Evans aren't doing test rides at the moment and the guy I spoke to doesn't think they will be for the foreseeable. I did sit on it in the store and he adjusted the seat etc. I guess I just don't know whether it is better to pay the extra for the Specialized or whether the Pinnacle is in fact the better option.

OP
OP
M

Mersey54

The Diverge will come with a lifetime warranty (frame only and only for the original owner.) I've no idea what the Pinnacle warranty is.
That's good to know, thanks. I have also seen some reviews that the Pinnacle tyres might not be so good so maybe I'd need to look into changing them.

Colabear

Good morning. I am looking to buy a new bike and it has been suggested to me to get a gravel bike. I have narrowed my choices down to the Specialized Diverge E5 Elite and the Pinnacle Arkose D2 ( partly due to the fact that there is very little availability for bikes at the moment and these two are in stock). I am a new cyclist so need a bit of help to make my decision please.

I will be using the bike for mainly cycle paths, a bit of road, basically a little of everything but not extreme mountain bike trails and I would like it to last me a few years. So being a novice, it appears to me that the Diverge and D2 have similar spec - hydraulic brakes and Tiagra groupsets. They also are relatively similar in geometry so I think that I could find both comfortable.

The Diverge is £1299 and the D2 £1025. The cost isn't much of a factor for me as I can use my C2W scheme for either option and would be willing to pay the extra £275 for the Diverge if it is a "better" bike.

Any help would be massively appreciated. Thank you. Links below for ease.

https://www.infinitycycles.co.uk/35...-e5-2020-gravel-bike-greycast-battleship.aspx

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-d2-2020-women-s-gravel-bike-EV339954
Hi there, what did you decide on eventually? I’m having a very similar dilemma. I was going for a Diverge, in 52cm. I’m also female and 5ft 5. On trying the bike, however, Evans said the reach was a little too long for me. I have a ‘positive ape span’ - (the measurement they tell you to do to look at your reach, name makes me laugh!), yet short torso to legs ratio. I was advised to go for 49cm, which is due to come into stock. I feel like it will look really odd though, like I’m riding a child’s bike. I was also considering the Pinnacle D3 ladies - none to try in the shop though. I’m also holding a Trek checkpoint on 52cm. Slight issue here as it’s over my cycle to work voucher amount by £100 so I’m having to see if it can be reissued as apparently can’t pay the difference.
I do wonder if the Trek will just have same issue with reach as the Specialized. I know there is the possibility to change the stem perhaps on the 52cm to improve the reach...
Not an easy process to get the right thing with so little stock around currently! Any advice appreciated.

Top Bottom