Diversity obligations gone mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
We have one shower per floor in our new portakabin office, with a shared set of hooks for towels inside the locked shower room, and a shared cloak/drying room outside. I've never considered it any inconvenience, and nor have the male or female cyclists and runners in our building :huh:

We don't get lockers either, and the only friction is between the non-active commuters who don't like us leaving cycling gear out to dry in the cloak room, and the active-commuters who keep finding the heating's been turned down when we were drying things.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
We have a shower/ changing room/ loo on each of our floors, 28 and separate mens and ladies loos.

Seems to work pretty well and there is an awful lot of people in the building.

We also have a separate gym and segregated changing/shower areas.

There would be mayhem if it all changed.

2016-China-supplier-automatic-ticket-dispenser-queue.jpg

The blocking of a limited shower facility is the issue as far as I can see

We used to have a facility which worked fine, nip in shower and out again........

Then we had a guy started using them, he would enter the cubicle at 07:30 and not leave it for about an hour as he washed, dress, pampered, preened, did his hair etc

Banging on the door had no effect, and even a quiet word that there were a number of us being held up by his actions... to no avail

Eventually a quiet word with his manager sorted the issue

So inconveniencing dozens who currently use the showers and very likely putting many women off altogether is a necessary price for the few who might feel uncomfortable with the previous arrangements ? Not in my book.
So where should a trans-woman change? That is someone who is socially, culturally and in appearance a woman, but has a penis. Is your wife comfortable about getting naked beside a stranger with a penis? If so, what to do? Throw her to the men's room, which would be really uncomfortable for everyone and also force her to be "out" in the workplace. Or desegregate the changing rooms and just eliminate the problem?

Don't know. Is there one? And, if so, what does it entail?
According to the OP there is.

Obligation kinda suggests the business has decided that there is no need to consult cos they have to do it, or have decided they are using the word to force it through either because they think it's the right thing to do or for another reason.

screenman

Legendary Member
The public pool I use has shared changing rooms, I have not left the door open yet. I do still struggle to get used to women walking around with just a towel around them.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
According to the OP there is.

Obligation kinda suggests the business has decided that there is no need to consult cos they have to do it, or have decided they are using the word to force it through either because they think it's the right thing to do or for another reason.
They went through a sham of a consultation. My wife and all the other women she knows in the changing rooms all responded that they weren't at all comfortable with sharing locker space and drying space with men. But the response from Facilities was typical Liberal Elite stuff, we are in charge, we occupy the moral high ground, we know best.

They went through a sham of a consultation. My wife and all the other women she knows in the changing rooms all responded that they weren't at all comfortable with sharing locker space and drying space with men. But the response from Facilities was typical Liberal Elite stuff, we are in charge, we occupy the moral high ground, we know best.
Sounds like they got round their concerns by implementing an individual shower/drying/changing area with shared lockers. Not too bad a compromise?

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Sounds like they got round their concerns by implementing an individual shower/drying/changing area with shared lockers. Not too bad a compromise?
No the drying area that they are complaining about is for drying clothes - they don't want their shorts/bras etc pressed up amongst lots of disgustingly smelly men's kit. To say nothing of being freely available for close inspection by pervs.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
[QUOTE 4667267, member: 45"]What would your solution be?[/QUOTE]
They should take on board the responses to their consultation and offer a solution that works for all, or at least the many. The solution currently on offer only works for the few. And they might not even want it anyway.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
[QUOTE 4667363, member: 45"]I get that. What would your solution be, given the identified need?[/QUOTE]
My role in this is simply to reflect on the dissatisfaction felt by my wife and many of her colleagues that the current proposal is nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom