DIY advice needed..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Hi, have had a new door fitted to an old brick shed and need some advice with regards getting it painted.

Can someone advise on what is needed paint/undercoat wise?

Cheers.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Presumably a wooden door.
If you want it to remain wooden colour, I'd use Osmo exterior oil, gives a great tough finish and easy to put on.
If you want a colour, you'll need a primer (most double up as an undercoat and most are water based). Easy to put on, but take care you get good coverage. (Top tip, when using water based paint, wash your brush first, stops paint sticking and makes much easier to clean when done).
For the top coat I prefer an oil based paint, I find it much more durable. Trickier to get on cleanly and takes longer to dry but worth it.
Don't forget under the door (with the oil you can get coverage using a soaked rag).

Hudson1984

Über Member
standard cuprinol always works for me. plus you get a decent range of colours. We painted our summerhouse using this 5 years ago. Still looks ok now

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try to paint every surface so as to seal the wood and reduce swelling and shrinkage with weather, which will crack the paint and evetually rot.

A hard gloss paint might not be the right idea - think about using a woodstain, which will allow the timber to breathe.

kiwifruit

Über Member
Does a woodstain still need an undercoat/primer or is that all is needed?
If using woodstains there’s no need to undercoat or primer. Woodstains does come in Matt and Satin finish.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Does a woodstain still need an undercoat/primer or is that all is needed?
I meant if you want a colour like red or yellow on the door, then you'll need primer/undercoat. If using a woodstain then no primer needed. I'd still recommend Osmo oil, it's not cheap, but there's a reason for that. If your door has any sort of interesting grain pattern the oil really brings it out.
Ps if you do use oil you can brush it on or use a rag. If you use a rag, don't chuck the rag screwed up into a corner as it can spontaneously combust!

Top Bottom