DIY or mechanic??

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Pgs2512, 14 Mar 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pgs2512

Pgs2512 Regular

I have bought a new groupset (Shimano Tiarga) and want to put it on my bike. The most mechanical experience I have previous to this is indexing and fitting mudguards, so my question is: Should I buy a tool set and do it myself using books/internet/resources or just pay the LBS to do it for me?

I quite like tinkering and finding out how things work, but I don't want to risk doing a naff job. How difficult is it to do and should I just pay someone who knows to do it?

2. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

I would recommend doing it yourself. There is nothing really scary in a groupset switch over and it is a great way to learn how the basics.

raleighnut and User32269 like this.
  3. lutonloony

lutonloony Über Member

indexing mudguards sounds tricky

4. OP
    OP
    Pgs2512

Pgs2512 Regular

I meant derailleurs, but my mudguards do run much smoother now that I've indexed them.

As far as doing it myself is concerned, what would I need to do it? I have a maintenance stand and a set of allen keys, would one of those £50 bike toolkits have everything I would need?

jonny jeez and Joffey like this.
  5. I'd say do it yourself, but be extra careful with the rear mech set up, or you could have the shortest test ride evvvver.

6. lutonloony

lutonloony Über Member

I appear to have totally messed up my mudguard indexing as I cracked the front one this morning!!

As @Milkfloat said, nothing too scary, and plenty of "utube" help out there. Not sure if toolkit would have all you need, but people that know stuff will surely be answering soon

7. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Depending on frame material you might want a torque wrench ?(if carbon).If not I've done similar swapped a Groupset and built a bike up with basic Lidl toolkit.Theres not much else you'll need,maybe some decent cable cutters.

8. Rooster1

Rooster1 I was right about that saddle

Easy job, go for it.

9. It's easy enough. Don't confuse gear cables with brake cables, and get a torque wrench, and a hammer, never underestimate how useful a hammer can be.

raleighnut likes this.
  10. Ian H

Ian H Guru

None of my bikes ever go near bike mechanics. They've got me round many long rides with few mechanical problems.

A good cycle maintenance book might be worth investing in.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2017
  11. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

All you need to know is on you tube.:okay:

12. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

As long as you have a decent cable cutter you will be fine .

Kestevan and raleighnut like this.
  13. XiShT

XiShT On a budget...always.

+1 for YouTube and a bike maintenance book for DIY - although YouTube is arguably cheaper/more accessible as you often get video tutorials.

Most of the parts should be able to be put on with just the usual Allen keys and screw drivers, with the exceptions being the crankset and BB so you may want to get tools for those - but I've seen that they can cost a bit. A good pair of cable cutters will do wonders as well, together with a cable tensioning tool (or a pair of needlenose pliers). Hope this goes well!

Last edited: 14 Mar 2017
  14. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

Another vote for DIY - If you have the time to learn.
    Last couple of times I've took mine to shop - it had to go back - best to learn yourself...

XiShT likes this.
  15. arch684

arch684 Veteran

Check out r j the bike guy on youtube.He has videos to everything you need to know

XiShT and TinyMyNewt like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice