DIY or mechanic??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pgs2512

Regular
I have bought a new groupset (Shimano Tiarga) and want to put it on my bike. The most mechanical experience I have previous to this is indexing and fitting mudguards, so my question is: Should I buy a tool set and do it myself using books/internet/resources or just pay the LBS to do it for me?

I quite like tinkering and finding out how things work, but I don't want to risk doing a naff job. How difficult is it to do and should I just pay someone who knows to do it?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would recommend doing it yourself. There is nothing really scary in a groupset switch over and it is a great way to learn how the basics.

lutonloony

Über Member
I have bought a new groupset (Shimano Tiarga) and want to put it on my bike. The most mechanical experience I have previous to this is indexing and fitting mudguards, so my question is: Should I buy a tool set and do it myself using books/internet/resources or just pay the LBS to do it for me?

I quite like tinkering and finding out how things work, but I don't want to risk doing a naff job. How difficult is it to do and should I just pay someone who knows to do it?
indexing mudguards sounds tricky

OP
OP
P

Pgs2512

Regular
indexing mudguards sounds tricky

I meant derailleurs, but my mudguards do run much smoother now that I've indexed them.

As far as doing it myself is concerned, what would I need to do it? I have a maintenance stand and a set of allen keys, would one of those £50 bike toolkits have everything I would need?

lutonloony

Über Member
I meant derailleurs, but my mudguards do run much smoother now that I've indexed them.

As far as doing it myself is concerned, what would I need to do it? I have a maintenance stand and a set of allen keys, would one of those £50 bike toolkits have everything I would need?
I appear to have totally messed up my mudguard indexing as I cracked the front one this morning!!

As @Milkfloat said, nothing too scary, and plenty of "utube" help out there. Not sure if toolkit would have all you need, but people that know stuff will surely be answering soon

Adam4868

Guru
Depending on frame material you might want a torque wrench ?(if carbon).If not I've done similar swapped a Groupset and built a bike up with basic Lidl toolkit.Theres not much else you'll need,maybe some decent cable cutters.

It's easy enough. Don't confuse gear cables with brake cables, and get a torque wrench, and a hammer, never underestimate how useful a hammer can be.

XiShT

+1 for YouTube and a bike maintenance book for DIY - although YouTube is arguably cheaper/more accessible as you often get video tutorials.

Most of the parts should be able to be put on with just the usual Allen keys and screw drivers, with the exceptions being the crankset and BB so you may want to get tools for those - but I've seen that they can cost a bit. A good pair of cable cutters will do wonders as well, together with a cable tensioning tool (or a pair of needlenose pliers). Hope this goes well!

Last edited:
Another vote for DIY - If you have the time to learn.
Last couple of times I've took mine to shop - it had to go back - best to learn yourself...

Top Bottom