DIY or mechanic??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XiShT

Check out r j the bike guy on youtube.He has videos to everything you need to know

Agreed! Also I find the Park Tool channel (w/ Calvin Jones) very useful, as long as you take their tool recommendations with a pinch of salt.

OP
OP
P

Pgs2512

Regular
Thanks all, the overwhelming majority seems to be with DIY!

Thanks for the suggestions of youtube channels as well.

Stevec047

Über Member
Definatly try doing it yourself up until last year my bike mechanical knowledge was zero but by using you tube videos and also the helpful users of this forum I can put my hand to most things.

The best thing is that when something goes wrong on a ride you will have the knowledge to repair it yourself.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Couple of tips - Don't cut your cables until you are sure everything is correct - use the old outers as a guide - and don't overtighten them, it's easy to damage them, and don't cut them too short. I always leave at least 2" past the clamp

Ajax Bay

Guru
would one of those £50 bike toolkits have everything I would need?
Yes with, as has been said, the addition of good cable cutters (which are rarely included in those toolkits) and a 12" adjustable spanner - depending on current crankset type. The most difficult work is likely to be the removal of your bottom bracket (especially if the current one has been there some time). This assumes your new Tiagra groupset includes that (CRC offering does; Wiggle's one doesn't). Make sure your planned rides do not include anything more than a trial, immediately after you've completed this, as there will likely be a bit of 'snagging' work to get everything just right. But your mudguard indexing experience will stand you in good stead.

Top Bottom