DIY sports drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MessenJah

MessenJah

Rider
Well, now ya know! 'Standard' sized water bottle (although they do vary obviously). Doesn't need to be precise anyway - adjust it to suit your taste.

tomb1960

where do you get maltodextrin from?

BTW when I'm flagging nothing replaces all that I've lost better than a pork-pie! Washed down with water.

jimboalee

Like any professional sporting person, a pro cyclist is not going to tell the world what they eat and drink when competing.:o)
But, muggins here has seen with his own eyes.:biggrin:

For a start, a multivit supplement tab every day. Whatever the hotel can provide for brekky – eg Weetabix, toast, honey, Tate & Lyles, preserves, coffee, white sugar, Danish pastries, croissants, various iced top buns.

On the ride – more cakes. FULL SUGAR Coke. Small bottles of glucose syrup.

Usually some sort of Pasta with fish or white meat for supper. One bottle of Becks. More cakes.

All these ‘energy drinks’ are usually owned by large soft drinks companies eg Powerade = Coca Cola. They want sales.

BTW, there are two m’s in Pimms. So I don’t believe you.:tongue:

bigjim

Legendary Member
read somewhere that all these energy drinks are full of sugar or a derivative. same with so-called pure fruit drinks. Evidently can't beat plain water and eat actual fruit, raisins, nuts.

Jim

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The ultimate el cheapo carb for long distance riding is soreen malt loaf. My mate AlexB (remember him from C+?) has a ex-chalk climbing bag on his handlebars which he fills with small cubes of the stuff.

Me, I tend to use SiS Go. Since I'm cycling/skating all day 5 days a week, I need the electrolytes and the carbs. I could probably get by on bananananananas, soreen and water though.

luke's fleche

I use a simple isotonic drink on pretty much every ride, it consists of
  • 50-70g sugar
  • One litre of warm water
  • Pinch of salt
  • 200ml of sugar free squash
its simple to make and pretty tasty and you get a good amount as well

Top Bottom