DIY steel frame repair, show us yours!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fr188

Shortly I’ll be trying to braze a repair on a old lugged steel bike, I’ve looked on the internet & theirs lots of images of cracked head tubes etc, but there’s hardly any images of home made have a go finished repair jobs& how they turned out.
I know there’s going to be people that will say just bin the frame, or it’ll catastrophically fail, but if I repair my frame it’ll be my at my own risk, & I would never think of selling on a previously damaged bike. I’m just wondering how anyone got on with their own repairs.

Tim Hall

Many years ago, when I was at school, I broke the frame on my Vindec Speedster after mixing up my ambitions with my capabilities in the proximity of an immovable object. The top tube sprang from it's joint where it met the seat tube. Fortunately there was a hole drilled through the lug into the tube, so I mended it, for some values of mended, by inserting a nail into the hole, holding the tube in place.

It stayed like that for a couple of years until it got stolen.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Not so much a repair but a mod.
I got a mate to sweat out the rear dropouts from a steel frame and braze in track dropouts, also sweated off unwanted bits.
He had to be careful as the tubing where the dropouts fit is quite small and could be easily overheated.

Top Bottom