DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclelover1997

hi all, as some of you know i bought a Trek bicycle a while ago there is a few questions i would like to raise on here.

firstly, how do i know when the chain needs lubing, also when it comes to self maintaining the bike is there anything else i should be doing??

and lastly, i know this doesn't fit into the sub of 'DIY' lol but im not 100% sure the frame is the right size for me, but i am prob wrong and just doubting myself lol, i know this prob seems a really dumb question, but i have just started getting into cycling. so how would i know if my frame was right size.

hope all you cyclists are enjoying the lovely weather

cyclelover :smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You tube is your best friend when it comes to bike maintenance, and cycle fit. there are so many vids on there, its' easier to watch one of those, rather than someone on here explaining it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3hU0CpTNs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ34hed0qBw

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you get the bike from a shop? If so, they should have measured you for the right size and set it up for you. If they didn't go back and get them to do so!! How tall are you and what size is the bike, should be able to tell if you are at least in the right ballpark. Why do you think it doesn't fit, uncomfortable to ride (esp. neck, shoulders, arms)

Chain - really depends how often you ride and in what sort of conditions...bit of a how long is a piece of string. If wet, clean and lube after every ride.

Presumably if you bought from a shop and have been riding, you've taken it back for its 6 week / 100 mile (ish) check over?

Lovely weather, hardly, it's been cold and windy in London! :wacko:

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
^^^
as above, YouTube is your best friend for maintenance and repair videos. It taught me pretty much everything I know.

Everyone will have differing opinions but I personally wipe my bike down after every ride with an old rag. Every other ride I wipe the chain clean and lube it.

Once a week, Go around the bike checking your tyre pressures, check your brake pads have meat on them, Check your cables aren't frayed etc etc. Maintenance is mostly keeping an eye on stuff and cleaning/lubing.

si_c

Guru
Wipe clean and lube my chain once a week in summer (approx 150mi) more often in winter.

Check brake blocks and change when only a couple mm left on the pad.

For fit, how tall are you and what size is the bike? Trek usually put a sticker with the size on the seat tube, if it's not there measure from the middle of the cranks to the top of the seat tube where the seat post comes out and tell us the number.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Oil the chain when you remember and you aren't running late for work. Generally a brief look at your right trouser leg will tell you how much oil is left on the chain. If you don't have oil on your trouser leg put the bottle of bike oil by the front door to increase oiling frequency.

Replace the chain and rear cassette when you happen to be passing a bike shop with a spare £20 in your pocket and don't mind having to make tedious small talk about how [faddy crap] is the new big thing. Spend the £20 every few thousand miles rather than waste your life degreasing the chain.

Don't bother to clean the bike, that's not dirt, that's thief deterrent.

Replace the pads shortly after you are going down a hill and think "these brakes aren't up to much" or more likely when you're replacing the chain/cassette and the bike shop bod points out you have a mere smudge of rubber left on the pads.

The above is all on my philosophy that my time is worth at least what my employer pays and I would rather work an hour's overtime then bugger around cleaning a chain. If you are weird and enjoy getting grease over every surface of your house and being shouted at by the missus then search Youtube for "Jeremy Kyle I love cleaning my chain more than sleeping with Angelina Jolie" for instructional videos (beware of similarly named sites offering an extra 26" to get your seat post inside AJ's frame).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oil the chain when you remember and you aren't running late for work. Generally a brief look at your right trouser leg will tell you how much oil is left on the chain. If you don't have oil on your trouser leg put the bottle of bike oil by the front door to increase oiling frequency.

Replace the chain and rear cassette when you happen to be passing a bike shop with a spare £20 in your pocket and don't mind having to make tedious small talk about how [faddy crap] is the new big thing. Spend the £20 every few thousand miles rather than waste your life degreasing the chain.

Replace the pads shortly after you are going down a hill and think "these brakes aren't up to much" or more likely when you're replacing the chain/cassette and the bike shop bod points out you have a mere smudge of rubber left on the pads.

The above is all on my philosophy that my time is worth at least what my employer pays and I would rather work an hour's overtime then bugger around cleaning a chain. If you are weird and enjoy getting grease over every surface of your house and being shouted at by the missus then search Youtube for "Jeremy Kyle I love cleaning my chain more than sleeping with Angelina Jolie" for instructional videos (beware of similarly named sites offering an extra 26" to get your seat post inside AJ's frame).

It's know wonder your forum name is "knackeredBike"

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Joking aside,there is a lot of merit in the above

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Joking aside,there is a lot of merit in the above
It is partially in jest because we are on a cycle forum but I am slowly converting my co-workers to cycling but they, like me, view the bike as a utilitarian object that should do as many miles as possible in between needing money or attention. Espousing that bikes are delicate flowers requiring every cable to be rebraided weekly just puts people off cycling and into driving, where you only need to service once a year. My bike takes a lot of use and abuse and has never had a mechanical failure more than a puncture.

Top Bottom