DIYs and Perms planned to restart Aug 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
To be fair I really think your perm might need sorting by now. :whistle:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Reading the AUK announcements, they don't plan anything else for the foreseeable future either!
We have contingency plans, but can only act in accordance with guidelines. We review firstly government advice, then Sport England, British Cycling, and Cycling UK (CTC).
In the longer term there are likely to be issues specific to long-distance events which will need addressing.

Blow that - I'm riding by myself until there is an effective vaccine! :whistle:
Yup, that's fine. But you can't do it as an Audax until August.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had a look at permanents ridable from home. Some nice looking routes in areas I know well but somehow I couldn't raise any enthusiasm for them. There's one 100k that I might have a go at, but I won't bother getting it validated, which will free me up from the hassles of getting receipts while staying socially distanced. And frees me to adapt the route to my desires. But by the time I've done that I seem to have missed the whole point. :sad:

Riding out to a start point on a 200k and then riding home after would take too long, but I may plunder some bits of nice looking route.

Ajax Bay

Guru
We have contingency plans, but can only act in accordance with guidelines. We review firstly government advice, then Sport England, British Cycling, and Cycling UK (CTC).
In the longer term there are likely to be issues specific to long-distance events which will need addressing.
So now the guidelines in England have been substantively eased with effect from 4 July, Ian, I hope Audax UK will have the boldness to 'act in accordance with guidelines' (ie amend its decision by bringing the resumption date forwards and instigate the contingency plans to which you refer) since the advice has changed? Sport England, British Cycling, and Cycling UK (CTC) will be acting on the revisions and reinvigorating cycling fairly promptly (I guess) ie well before 1 Aug with organised group rides and the like (on 4 July?).
British Cycling have stated their caveated intent to resume regional racing and sportives on 1 Aug. Audax UK have currently agreed to let individuals, pairs and small groups ((<=6?) to ride permanents and the DIYs. Isn't that a mismatch?
I can understand the wish to stay in echelon, but the cross wind is blowing and the leading element of the peloton is about to go up the road: it's worth being near the front.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I started pedalling and couldn't stop (officer).
1592944652251.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
If the start date for DiYs can be brought forward a little bit, a week maybe, folks could restart their RRtYs a month earlier. That would give a lot of people a huge lift, an important consideration in these times I would have thought.

The AUK board has promised to give organisers and members at least two weeks' notice of any aspect of the suspension being lifted. I don't think the punters need this and it would be unfortunate if the promise became the cause of unnecessary delay. A message on the morning of July 24th - validation of DiYs up to 200km is re-enabled with immediate effect, a week in advance of plans previously announced - would be fine by me. Perhaps a couple of days before would be good so that folks can apply for domestic release in time for the weekend. :smile:

Top Bottom