Do cheap shorts cause sadlle soreness???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

Just been out for a 27 mile ride on my hybrid and even though i applied Assos cream before i left home and after about 15 miles i'm still sore. My saddle is a Brookes B17 which i don't think is the problem so it must be the bibshorts which were about £13 from decathlon?? (there blue range if i remember correctly)

As i'm planning on a weekend of touring in 6 days time i could do with solving this issue. Any advice?

Keith Oates

Janner
As a 'rule of thumb' the more you pay the better they should be, however it's not just the shorts that could be the problem. If you've not ridden very much then a sore bottom will/may occur regardless of the shorts you use. It could be that your not used to or 'worn in' with your saddle or that you need to adjust your lay out on the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monnet

Guru
Like everything bike related, shorts choice is pretty personal. I've had £20 shorts that have been great and £40 ones that have been highly uncomfortable at the moment I've got 3 equally comfortable pairs that cost £33, £40 and one pair that cost £35 but were reduced from £75. It all depends on how the shorts are cut and your body shape.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Its hard to pin point that any part of you set is is obviously wrong.

I use the Decathlon cheapo shorts for evening training rides of up to a couple of hours without any problem. Similarly your saddle should be okay ridden starkers, let alone with Assos cream!

So, perhaps you need to look at the detail first. How many miles have you got into your Brookes? How many miles has your arse got recently? You are 'commando' in your shorts aren't you ? Are there any obvious stitching faults in the shorts? Not unknown at this end of the market. Have you tried altering the tilt of your saddle? Very slightly down at the nose is the perceived wisdom although some find others alignments also comfortable.

If you are sure you have eliminated any likely problems with your present set up, then perhaps a better pair of shorts would be worth it on a longer tour.

Finally (and this is more for information than to criticise you choice) the more upright position on a hybrid does put more load on your arse. Although hybrids are sold 'for comfort', the traditional touring bike with the load shared more evenly between the seat and arms, still offers many people a more comfortable long distance option.

PS: If the rubbing is on the inner thigh, some people find they need to slightly pare down the lower edge of the sides of the B17 where it is rubbing. A very sharp craft knife can be used to take off a slither.

i use the cheap lusso shorts an one of the cheapest saddles ,a Rolls, but i've not had problems yet.maybe i'm just lucky?
it could be your position as mentioned above
i've nevr used any sort of cream since a treatment room nurse told me not to when i was being treated for a non cycling problem in that area!

monnet

Guru
piedwagtail91 said:
i use the cheap lusso shorts an one of the cheapest saddles ,a Rolls, but i've not had problems yet.maybe i'm just lucky?
it could be your position as mentioned above
i've nevr used any sort of cream since a treatment room nurse told me not to when i was being treated for a non cycling problem in that area!

True enough about that saddle shorts combo - I rode the same for ages and never had any trouble, although the switch to Giordana shorts and a Specialized Alias saddle improved the comfort of my ride no end.

I'd recommend cream though. I've recieved a wide variety of (often conflicting) advice from the medical profession about various aspects of cycling. I now have a GP who is a very keen cyclist and he is adament that chamois cream or a bit of savlon/ sudacrem, while not always a necessity, is definitely a good thing to use.

OP
OP
D

DLB

Tim Bennet. said:
Its hard to pin point that any part of you set is is obviously wrong.

I use the Decathlon cheapo shorts for evening training rides of up to a couple of hours without any problem. Similarly your saddle should be okay ridden starkers, let alone with Assos cream!

So, perhaps you need to look at the detail first. How many miles have you got into your Brookes? How many miles has your arse got recently? You are 'commando' in your shorts aren't you ? Are there any obvious stitching faults in the shorts? Not unknown at this end of the market. Have you tried altering the tilt of your saddle? Very slightly down at the nose is the perceived wisdom although some find others alignments also comfortable.

If you are sure you have eliminated any likely problems with your present set up, then perhaps a better pair of shorts would be worth it on a longer tour.

Finally (and this is more for information than to criticise you choice) the more upright position on a hybrid does put more load on your arse. Although hybrids are sold 'for comfort', the traditional touring bike with the load shared more evenly between the seat and arms, still offers many people a more comfortable long distance option.

PS: If the rubbing is on the inner thigh, some people find they need to slightly pare down the lower edge of the sides of the B17 where it is rubbing. A very sharp craft knife can be used to take off a slither.

Thanks for those comments.

Tim - yes i go 'commando' under the shorts. The brookes has had about 400 miles on it and so it should be broken in by now. My mileage is variable week to week but i certainly haven't been 'out of the saddle' recently.

I find that the pad seems to soak up sweat and turn this into soreness (a bit like nappy rash). i really thought the Assos cream would stop the soreness but it failed today. I do have another set of bib shorts from wiggle (DHB ones) and they don't seem to be as bad. Perhaps the pad is better??

As i'm going to be away from home for a few days next wweekend touring, i could do with a few pairs of bibshorts so i wear a new pair each day. Or could i somehow clean the ones i've been wearing at the B and B's we're going to stop at?

Any other ideas??

longers

Legendary Member
You certainly can wash your shorts at the b+b's. Take them into the shower with you and wash them in there. Good advice I've read on here is to wring them out in a towel afterwards (thoughtfully provided by your b+:ohmy: and this will help them dry much quicker. Some people say two pairs, one on one wash, and others have said three pairs are best. It's up to you really.

bobg

Über Member
DLB said:
I find that the pad seems to soak up sweat and turn this into soreness (a bit like nappy rash). i really thought the Assos cream would stop the soreness but it failed today.
Any other ideas??

Is it an itchy rash or just sore - If itchy as well as sore then a week of Caneston (sp) twice a day worked for me. It looked like nappy rash ( according to my wife)... its too long ago to remember what that looked like on my kids:smile:

asterix

Comrade Member
My shorts are mostly Lusso although I still have some Parrot shorts and a pair of Ozzo's. I guess they are all at the cheap end of the scale:sad:.

Neverthless, I don't have a problem with sweat in that area or rashes although I have done a lot of riding in temps in the high 20s and 30s when I do sweat. My saddles are all Brooks and I hardly ever use any creams or potions.

If I had an upright bike I would definitely consider a Brooks sprung saddle, however.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
asterix said:
My shorts are mostly Lusso although I still have some Parrot shorts and a pair of Ozzo's. I guess they are all at the cheap end of the scale:sad:.

Neverthless, I don't have a problem with sweat in that area or rashes although I have done a lot of riding in temps in the high 20s and 30s when I do sweat. My saddles are all Brooks and I hardly ever use any creams or potions.

If I had an upright bike I would definitely consider a Brooks sprung saddle, however.
I think you've hit it there asterix. A leather saddle will absorb sweat and it will (minutely) breath, a plastic saddle on the other hand............

Mr Phoebus

Biggest cause of rash, too much washing powder.
The residue can stay in the pad, and when mixed with sweat will be nice 'n' caustic.
The pads a perfect breeding ground for bacteria too, so only ever wear padded shorts 'once' between washes.

Keith Oates

Janner
I agree about the washing powder being a problem if not properly rinsed out, on my newer bib shorts, that have quite thick padding, I wash by hand using soap and then also ensure a good rinse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got dhb, specialized and endura shorts and that is the confort spectrum from least to best. Enduras have the thickest pads and I've done up to 80 miles in comfort. The other two start to chafe around 25 miles.

I have been getting a bit tender in the (I was going to say heat) weather conditions lately.

Top Bottom