Do cycle parking installers think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
My local supermarket (Morrisons) has two nice shiny Sheffiled stands outside it, nice and safe (though confusingly for a building with a massively underused canopy they're not undercover
rolleyes.gif
). These have started to fill up recently so they've quadrupled the parking ....

... like this

morrisons_wheelbenders.jpg

6 wheelbenders helpfully mounted on the floor out in the open. I honestly can't see how you can securely put a bike in them.
BangHead.gif

Chamfus Flange

Very similar situation found at the nursing home my Mother-in-Law stayed at once, except they were not bolted to the ground?

Femto

If they aren't bolted down, steal them ... you'll be doing everyone a favour!

Heheh, that'll teach them. :tongue:
I'm actually quite pleased with the bike locking facilities at my local Asda. They're under the canopy and there are a good half dozen Sheffield type stands. I'm not sure how much the canopy will help if there's rain and a gusty wind because of the height of it. It must be 25 feet above the ground. If it's gently raining, it'll be fine however.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
This thread has reminded me of some stands I inspected in Goole.This shows you what supermarkets are like even when they are sympathetic. Tescos tried and thought they'd installed cycle parking for 30 bicycles (bless). Unfortunately as you can see the racks are far too close together, the gaps in the standard racks are too close (common) and they've installed them too close to the wall! So instead of space of 30 bicycles there is space for maybe 10 depending on how crazily you park them. In the right of the picture they had these crazy handles attached to pillars which by good fortunate great for parking bikes against, so out of shot there are 10 or 12 bicycles parked against these marvellous things.

Attachments

• tescogoole.jpg
    tescogoole.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 180

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
They are a token gesture to help the local planners tick a box, you are not actually supposed to use them :ohmy:

snorri

Legendary Member
This thread has reminded me of some stands I inspected in Goole.This shows you what supermarkets are like even when they are sympathetic. Tescos tried and thought they'd installed cycle parking for 30 bicycles (bless). Unfortunately as you can see the racks are far too close together, the gaps in the standard racks are too close (common) and they've installed them too close to the wall! So instead of space of 30 bicycles there is space for maybe 10 depending on how crazily you park them.
marinyork, they have done precisely the same thing at their stores at Wick, Dingwall and Elgin. I spoke with the local manager, phoned their local manager, wrote to their head office and received no response. I was left with no choice but to boycott their stores which are now closing down all around the country carrying on just as before.:sad: :sad:

They are a token gesture to help the local planners tick a box, you are not actually supposed to use them :ohmy:

Architects don't think, fortunately for the developments I've worked on in Scotland, plans have went through the developers transport consultants then to the councils transport department/ transport consultants before going to the planners who insist on the Sheffield Stand type. Given the current economic climate however, I fear a return to the bad old days when it was just a tick box exercise, creating x number of jobs will be more important than making things work, planning approved :wacko:

wafflycat

This thread has reminded me of some stands I inspected in Goole.This shows you what supermarkets are like even when they are sympathetic. Tescos tried and thought they'd installed cycle parking for 30 bicycles (bless). Unfortunately as you can see the racks are far too close together, the gaps in the standard racks are too close (common) and they've installed them too close to the wall! So instead of space of 30 bicycles there is space for maybe 10 depending on how crazily you park them. In the right of the picture they had these crazy handles attached to pillars which by good fortunate great for parking bikes against, so out of shot there are 10 or 12 bicycles parked against these marvellous things.

T*s*o are generally cr@p when it comes to provision of secure cycle parking. Had similar at my local T*s*o where they had those racks and they weren't even bolted to the ground. A polite letter to the local manager got this response: nada, nothing, zero.. ignored.

The local Morrisons, on the other hand has *loads* of indvidual sheffield stands concreted into the ground, well-spaced apart and under the roof overhang, so protected from the weather for the most part.

Thumbs up to my local Morrisons and a big YAHBOOSUCKS to my local T*s*o.

Jezston

Über Member
Tesco are crap when it comes to EVERYTHING. I don't understand why anyone shops there. The food is terrible quality, and yet they charge much more than the likes of Aldi and Lidl. Oh wait people shop there because they can't shop anywhere else because Tesco have driven them out. In Nottingham city center there is one Waitrose, one Sainsburys just outside the city center, and Aldi, and FIVE Tescos. FIVE!

Speaking of wacky bicycle stands, check out these bad boys outside Nottingham Trent SU:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...d=_sRumv3YqbkKNr5JaDsdPQ&cbp=12,14.5,,1,14.44

Davidc

Guru
There's no consistency about bike parking.

Here in Taunton we have:

A Tesco supermarket with stands in an inconvenient and out-of sight place, attached to the ground, but wit bolts sticking up so the nuts could be removed with a socket set in seconds. I've never seen more than a couple of bikes (but don't use the store much)

Asda with no bike racks. Bikes get locked to the railings though, so you'd think they'd realise there's demand - you'd be wrong.

Lidl. No racks, nowhere to lock bikes to except the rails around the trolleys.

Lidl and Aldi in town - I haven't found dedicated racks but there are council ones nearby which are usually full.

Sainsbury's have 2 stores. One big one on the outskirts of town. It has wheelbenders which are lightly used, and many more cycling customers (including me) who use various railings and the anti-trolley guards around various pillars. At the smaller town centre store there are Sheffield stands, shared with Blockbuster. They are always full to overflowing.

Morrisons have Sheffield stands at their supermarket, but not enough. they are nearly always full up so cyclists have to use all sorts of railings and barriers.

That's just the big ones.

Many of the cycling shoppers use panniers, baskets, saddlebags and so on, and the amounts being spent are considerable. Where there are good and well placed cycle stands they are full, so the stores which have them must be benefiting financially. The failure to provide good cycle parking just doesn't make commercial sense. I'm a light shopper and I often have £50 worth of shopping on my bike. Other cyclists have family shopping and I've seen £100 at the till being loaded onto a bike, several times, at Morrisons.

At least here there are council cycle stands in the town - well installed and wel distributed. Just about enough for demand on a cold wet and windy day in winter.

Top Bottom