Do cycling adverts give the wrong impressions to budding new cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozz360

Veteran
Hi again.
They (YouTube adverts) often show high-end bikes tearing down some picturesque mountain with not a car or truck to be seen. The weather is always perfect ,and it has to have some real aggressive back ground music to give it all the sense of speed and action.
To a non cyclist who's thinking of taking up cycling all these hyperactive adverts really do give out the wrong impression to a new cyclist.
But new cyclists are generally not in the market for a high-end bike. There will be exceptions of course, someone thinking of taking up cycling is more likely to purchase a bike for say, less than £500.

screenman

Legendary Member
People have very different amounts of disposable incomes, what they spend it on is up to them. I have friends who are retired and spend £18,000 a year on holidays, is that a waste?

Drago

Legendary Member
People have very different amounts of disposable incomes, what they spend it on is up to them. I have friends who are retired and spend £18,000 a year on holidays, is that a waste?

It is when something unforseen happens and they suddenly need it. That's why I don't spend big on holidays, to ensure that even if the worst happens I can continue my life of lazy ass loading about.

screenman

Legendary Member
It is when something unforseen happens and they suddenly need it. That's why I don't spend big on holidays, to ensure that even if the worst happens I can continue my life of lazy ass loading about.

They have more money coming in than they spend every month. They also have a very large nest egg and no debts.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Many a time I have been tempted to buy another expensive bike but luckily, reality steps in as I remember that I am 68 years old and my legs won't give the bike the credit it deserves, so I save my money for another day.
Pushing a 52x11 is out of my reach now and my cassettes musn't be less 32 gears.

I like self affirmation! Good to know that I’m right, and the rest of the world is wrong :-)
Spend your money on whatever you want, all I need to know is exactly when I’m going to die, then I can work it out exactly!!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I feel cheated by the adverts.

I thought cycling would make me slim and toned like Cancellara. After several years, I'm still portly. Can I get my money back using the Sales of Goods and Services Act?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Its those enthusiastic peeps who fall for the the £100 mail order BSO, use it once or twice, complain of a hurty bum, never ride again types that I feel sorry for.

mustang1

Guru
I see adverts on cycling news websites .For example a guy wearing and showing a helmet. Really, I prefer a professional model to wear the helmet.

You might say " are you interested in the helmet or the model?" and then I would refer you to the "things you'd like to say but can't say" thread. :smile:

Top Bottom