Do cycling adverts give the wrong impressions to budding new cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
But think of the greater stability and superior power transfer...
I see they no longer talk about vertical compliance... that ship has sailed.

mustang1

Guru
Imagine a realistic cycling advert. Middle aged overweight person raining sweat as they plod along at just a bit more than walking pace, while some teenagers shout really unimaginative things they think they're the first to have thought of.

Or the happy family riding the woodland trail, with one kid whinging incessantly about everything.

I think bike adverts do their job. They support the bike industry. They work. When I was a kid, people spent a lot of money on gear if they were semi pro, competing a lot. Everyone else managed fine on cheap bikes with minimal gear. Nowadays those of us that spend less than a grand on our total setup are often sneered at.

When you go into a bike shop (or clothing store or jewelery or whatever), and if ever feel that they are sneering for buying bottom of the range stuff, just keep in mind that the person selling the stuff can't afford it.

(Cue the "how can you assume the person cant afford it, for all you know they might be a millionaire" responses :biggrin:).

hoopdriver

Guru
Well, put it this way - they couldn’t afford it if they are living on the wages they earn behind the counter at the bike shop.

Anyway, ads are always aspirational and/or designed to instil dissatisfaction with your own present imperfect.

Venod

Eh up
When I started cycling as a schoolboy advertising wasn't a consideration, the sense of freedom and adventure was a big motivation and it still is today, what has changed is I don't remember the cold and hard work involved, now fifty plus years later,the cold and the hard work feature heavily.

I wouldn't buy a bike thats advertised in a mini movie - if it hasn't got that exclusive name down the side I m not interested.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A £6k bike isn't that much different to a £1k bike (my totally image-free Boardman TC is lighter than some of them) and magazines like C+ have to use meaningless guff about precision steering and immediate power transfer to ensure they still get supplied with review bikes. And, due to the cost, they're often bought by middle-aged men whose best days are 30 years behind them. The Americans call this "dentists on Pinarellos".

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have tried not to pay too much heed to adverts, ever since persuading my Mum to buy me a packet of Space Invaders crisps.

I threw one up in the air and was most dejected when it did not change into a massive spaceship just like on the TV advert.

They didn't even taste that good. Most people realise that cycling is not all about the sunny days & the deserted downhills.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wouldn't buy a bike thats advertised in a mini movie - if it hasn't got that exclusive name down the side I m not interested.

Yes, the name Canyon does have that romantic allure...

lane

Veteran
Instead of the glossy adverts, they should take some footage of me out on my bike cursing and swearing about everything from the weather, to the terrain, and nobber drivers. Nobody with any sense would take up cycling; EVER!

You forgot to mention chavs shouting incomprehensible comments at you as you pass by. As experienced by me on my ride on Saturday. Luckily I had my lad with me who was able to interpret the comments.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Come to think of it I can't recall the last time I saw and advert for a bike that was anything other than a picture of a bike with some writing next to it. Probably saying something like: Sale! Buy this bike now! Money off!
Back in the day, one word I remember the advertisers liked to use was "effortless" (or effortlessly), no doubt associated with a picture of a slim young chappy gliding his way up a dramatic mountain road. There can't be a word which when used in connection with cycling is more easily disprovable. Didn't stop me buying the bike though.

Brandane

Legendary Member
You forgot to mention chavs shouting incomprehensible comments at you as you pass by. As experienced by me on my ride on Saturday. Luckily I had my lad with me who was able to interpret the comments.
Ah yes, the PlayStation generation. No advert will ever convince them what they have missed out on.

Sixmile

Veteran
I nearly bought a Life E-Bike from the shopping channel last night as they told me how much my life would improve, how much happier I would be, how I'd never have to put effort in ever again and would never have another worry due to 'grippy tires' and an 'absolutely incredible seat'. As it was, I didn't send them my £480 in 4 staged payments.

I nearly bought a Life E-Bike from the shopping channel last night as they told me how much my life would improve, how much happier I would be, how I'd never have to put effort in ever again and would never have another worry due to 'grippy tires' and an 'absolutely incredible seat'. As it was, I didn't send them my £480 in 4 staged payments.
Would that be the same shopping channel that likes to tell folk they can be amazingly healthy, happy and gorgeous if they buy their latest wonder product, but your life is going to be a living hell with everyone pointing at you and laughing if you don't?

Top Bottom