Do frames go "dead" with age?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mikeymustard
Can't we just go back to saying that everything stretches? :wacko:
I'm sure no one will mind? :laugh:
I can see you're a stickler for the correct terminology, I see red when I spot a greengrocer's apostrophe!

Edit: and just don't get me started on "its" and "it's"!

Can't we just go back to saying that everything stretches? :wacko:
I'm sure no one will mind? :laugh:

No, that's stretching things too far.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Due to a nasty bout of gout making walking, standing and cycling impossible, I sat in the sun this afternoon, servicing and polishing an alloy wheel.

Since this thread has gone in several directions, let's discuss gout like symptoms. Though fit, had foot problems that kept on reoccurring until a really good doctor said that it could be gout. This is what has helped.

Cut out or reduce the bad - alcohol, etc. Substitute the good - water, lemon slices in water, etc.
Epsom Salt foot baths and baths. (Magnesium is good)
Donate a pint of blood. (Out with the old and let the body produce new)

Many people wear out before their bikes do. Good luck.

Since this thread has gone in several directions, let's discuss gout like symptoms. Though fit, had foot problems that kept on reoccurring until a really good doctor said that it could be gout. This is what has helped.

Cut out or reduce the bad - alcohol, etc.

Find a new doctor.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
@2IT thanks for that, I've had it twice before but just assumed it was mechanical but it was so bad this time I relented and went doctorwards.
Yes a few lifestyle changes are in order, apparently beer is bad but red wine doesn't affect it (I'm not gonna give up alcohol, obviously, LOL), losing a few stone might be an option too!

I thought multi-strand cable wires underwent structural stretch unless they had been pre-loaded?

Shaun
What is structural stretch and what is preload?

midlife

Guru
Blimey I'm going back a bit but as far as I am aware structural stretch is where newly constructed multistrand wires and cables have the capacity to stretch when an initial stress is applied immediately after manufacture and they do not display normal stress / strain behaviour. The behaviour is due to spaces between the individual wires and is independent of the Young Modulus of each individual wire.

It's been a long time and memory is flakey but "wildcat" wire is pre loaded at the factory at 80% elastic limit to take up any "slack" caused by microscopic spaces between the wires during manufacture

wires-in-orthodontics-certified-fixed-orthodontic-courses-by-indian-dental-academy-51-638.jpg

Shaun

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
@2IT thanks for that, I've had it twice before but just assumed it was mechanical but it was so bad this time I relented and went doctorwards.
Yes a few lifestyle changes are in order, apparently beer is bad but red wine doesn't affect it (I'm not gonna give up alcohol, obviously, LOL), losing a few stone might be an option too!

You are right about the beer, it's far worse than wine. When I first started with my sore feet, I would attribute it to over training. Thought it would get better if I sat down, have a few beers, eat some healthy fish and take some aspirin - all of those things only make it worse. Good luck with finding what works for you.

Age hardening (or precipitation hardening when it is done deliberately) is a thing which changes the grain structure of Al alloys even if it is just lying on a shelf. Its effects vary from alloy to alloy and depends on other things such as temperature. Personally I don't trust ali parts, especially handlebars and rims, more than a few years old.

Blimey I'm going back a bit but as far as I am aware structural stretch is where newly constructed multistrand wires and cables have the capacity to stretch when an initial stress is applied immediately after manufacture and they do not display normal stress / strain behaviour. The behaviour is due to spaces between the individual wires and is independent of the Young Modulus of each individual wire.

It's been a long time and memory is flakey but "wildcat" wire is pre loaded at the factory at 80% elastic limit to take up any "slack" caused by microscopic spaces between the wires during manufacture

wires-in-orthodontics-certified-fixed-orthodontic-courses-by-indian-dental-academy-51-638.jpg

Shaun
Well, how do you propose this applies to bicycle cable? Cable manufacturing is a mature technology with all manufacturers doing more or less the same thing. The stretch at the factory is a process of manufacturing, so what? How does this relate to repeated or initial strain on the bicycle elongating the cable?
I've seen mechanics demonstrate a slight pull on the cable on an open run and suggested this is a preload. However, this is nowhere near the 80% of yield you suggest.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Age hardening (or precipitation hardening when it is done deliberately) is a thing which changes the grain structure of Al alloys even if it is just lying on a shelf. Its effects vary from alloy to alloy and depends on other things such as temperature. Personally I don't trust ali parts, especially handlebars and rims, more than a few years old.
I trust you also avoid flying? Aircraft are made from Ali alloys too.

Top Bottom