Do I blow my savings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

How many bikes have you got then speccy?
I`ve got 6 (which was 7.............)

A Cube mtb which is my commuter, been round the clock a few times as it covers 150+ miles/week all year round
Genesis single speed
Trek Alpha 1.5 - my favourite, we have a lot of history together:hugs:
Specialized Secteur which I bought brand new and it only ever gets used on a turbo
Specialized Tarmac S Works - the Sunday best, 10 years old now
Felt TT bike which I have done about 3 miles on, can`t get on with it

The seed is planted for an N+1 now though:smile:

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I'd only spend £4K on a bike if I had double that in savings.
You can get a pretty decent bike for £2k
I like your way of thinking, if I spent 4K it would clean me out. BUT............ I`m thinking about the "once in a lifetime" bike at the moment, that`s why I can`t make up my mind:crazy:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'd only spend £4K on a bike if I had double that in savings.
You can get a pretty decent bike for £2k
By that measure I can spaff some savings on a TT bike that I've been eyeing up and still have a bit left over for cigars and hookers. Thanks Rich!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No way! I'm not short of a Bob or two but splashing £4k on a bike when £4k is all you have is absolute lunacy. Not bragging but I could do that tomorrow without cleaning out my current account but it still ain't going to happen because life is too short to be that frivolous and I will still enjoy my rides more and be faster than you on my £800 roadbike from 2011 :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I spent £4000 on a TT bike back in 2014 and didn't regret it.
I have probably spent close to £11,000 on bikes in the last 2 1/2 years. No regrets!!

mustang1

Legendary Member
I bought a bike for a couple of grand and always thought I'd never buy such an expensive bike again.

Now I'm looking to buy another bike and I want a much cheaper one but whenever I see the cheaper model, I always fancy getting something better. So ya never know, now that I've been spoiled by the expensive bike, it seems the lowest model I want now is the more expensive one.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Seeing as i'm an aficionado about should i or shouldn't i threads i hope this one runs and runs!:biggrin: I wouldn't spend that much on a bike unless it was reduced from twice its original price and then i probably wouldn't buy it as i'd still have doubts. If you're after flashing an expensive price tag when folk ask how much it cost just buy a 1 or 2 grand bike and tell 'em it cost 4 grand they'll be none the wiser unless they know about bikes. 99 out of a hundred will know feck all.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I bought a Koga Solicio, full carbon Di2 for £1400. It may not be TDF spec, but I'm not a TDF rider. It's certainly good enough for club rides or Transcontinental race. Mark Beaumont got the Africa record on one.

I would by asking why do you need to spend £4000 on a bike. The bike sales will be coming up soon. I would be shopping around.

Top Bottom