Do I blow my savings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Post a link to this £4K bike that will wipe out your savings- it won't be long before somebody will do the "if you can stretch your budget a bit..." post that always happens when a maximum budget is quoted.

Erm Interest free is the same as free delivery it doesn't exist the retailer is paying for it they use it as tool to get people over the line on a purchase and you will be paying full retail. Wave the wad of cash and no finance you will get at least 10% off, if not more. It would be cheaper borrowing on a low interest loan or Credit Card and get the discount as well.

I dont think Tredz would give you a bigger discount because you are paying cash, Venge is currently on sale 25% off,

Plus buying it via interest free finance means he can keep his savings and have a nice new bike at an affordtable cost.

10% isnt exactly a great discount so I would rather pay the price advertised and keep my savings. My personal opinion

markharry66

Über Member
dont do it if you cant afford it. Ask yourself can I live my life with out (probably).
What gap will if fill. I ask myself every time. Five bikes later I think collections is still growing.

Caad13

I have (after a beer fuelled evening) now got a gap in my fleet:rolleyes:

After browsing around Ebay and the like I really want to treat myself to a Specialized Venge or something along those lines. I wasn`t going to spend a huge amount to begin with but am now considering blowing my savings of about 4K on a seriously nice road bike - instead of a car.....yawn.

The justification is that it`s my 40th birthday present to myself (ok, my birthday is December, but that`s a minor detail), but the thought of spending money like that on a bike scares me. Been stewing on this for a fortnight now, what do I do? I sure as hell don`t know!
If you can afford it,do it.Otherwise ,you will be thinking about it for ever.I just spent 2k which is alot for me,but Im chuffed to bits.

simongt

Guru
I am in the situation that I could easily buy my dream bike; a Paris Galibier, but then I realised for my style of riding, it couldn't bring much more to my life than my forty year old refurbished Dawes Fox can't. So I'm sticking with my Fox. ^_^ Oh and also my recently aquired twenty year old pristine Super Galaxy - ! :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Pay cash for a couple of Rolls Royce's, or never work again? Ive made my call on that one.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have spent quite a lot of money with Richard Hallett over the last three years. Out today on the Blue Hallett (the 'fun' bike, a miracle of modern stainless steel) and it floated this OAP up a local 1:5 without killing him. Nice bikes are worth having, and bespoke/hand-made is much nicer than off-the-peg.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I am in the situation that I could easily buy my dream bike; a Paris Galibier, but then I realised for my style of riding, it couldn't bring much more to my life than my forty year old refurbished Dawes Fox can't. So I'm sticking with my Fox. ^_^ Oh and also my recently aquired twenty year old pristine Super Galaxy - ! :laugh:
Thread diversion - do you have a picture of the Fox? I owned one in the past before I bought a Galaxy. Did many miles on it in all weathers.

Top Bottom