Do I blow my savings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Spend it on cycling holidays. Buy memories and experiences. Then come on here and tell us all about it. I reckon we would be more interested in your trips than your bike.
I did that with LEJOG 3 years ago, people got sick of hearing about it, or didn`t want to hear about it in the first place!

bigjim

Legendary Member
I did that with LEJOG 3 years ago, people got sick of hearing about it, or didn`t want to hear about it in the first place!
You've been talking to the wrong people.:smile:

I have (after a beer fuelled evening) now got a gap in my fleet:rolleyes:

After browsing around Ebay and the like I really want to treat myself to a Specialized Venge or something along those lines. I wasn`t going to spend a huge amount to begin with but am now considering blowing my savings of about 4K on a seriously nice road bike - instead of a car.....yawn.

The justification is that it`s my 40th birthday present to myself (ok, my birthday is December, but that`s a minor detail), but the thought of spending money like that on a bike scares me. Been stewing on this for a fortnight now, what do I do? I sure as hell don`t know!

Buy the venge and keep your savings

I don't understand people that fork out thousands for a bike when you can get 0% interest from companies.

Put down a 10% deposit and take the rest out in finance. As long as you have a job it's only about £60 a month

bigjim

Legendary Member
One scenario. You are 80 and talking to your grandkids. You say " I was riding alongside the Danube in the early morning. Thats one of the most beautiful rivers in Europe. It was early morning and there was no noise except the birds and the swishing of my wheels on the gravel, then suddenly ........"
Or you could say "I once had a new blue bike with 11 gears".
You're call.:smile:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
One scenario. You are 80 and talking to your grandkids. You say " I was riding alongside the Danube in the early morning. Thats one of the most beautiful rivers in Europe. It was early morning and there was no noise except the birds and the swishing of my wheels on the gravel, then suddenly ........"
What if you dont have kids, so wont ever have grandkids.........meaning that argument/conversation is flawed

oldroadman

Veteran
What do you say to the theoretical grandkids when they ask what a silly old so and so wants an 11 gear bike for when they only use the low range???
Or just get the bike now and enjoy it. Life is too short....

bigjim

Legendary Member
What do you say to the theoretical grandkids when they ask what a silly old so and so wants an 11 gear bike for when they only use the low range???
Or just get the bike now and enjoy it. Life is too short....
Exactly! life is too short. Buy the tickets.

suzeworld

Veteran
I like your way of thinking, if I spent 4K it would clean me out. BUT............ I`m thinking about the "once in a lifetime" bike at the moment, that`s why I can`t make up my mind:crazy:

I would never "clean out my savings" for a bike.
Just too risky as a financial strategy ...

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I don't understand people that fork out thousands for a bike when you can get 0% interest from companies.

Put down a 10% deposit and take the rest out in finance. As long as you have a job it's only about £60 a month
Erm Interest free is the same as free delivery it doesn't exist the retailer is paying for it they use it as tool to get people over the line on a purchase and you will be paying full retail. Wave the wad of cash and no finance you will get at least 10% off, if not more. It would be cheaper borrowing on a low interest loan or Credit Card and get the discount as well.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Oh and buy what you want with your money. Its not earning you much in the bank but won't depreciate like a 4k car or bike will.

Top Bottom