do i need a real bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
was out earlier today and did 37.8 miles on the brompton. question Is would i be better off on larger wheels ,or am I getting a better workout on the folder.
I enjoy the fun factor of scaring roadies when out.However sometimes think maybe I should join em

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
No, Because you have a proper bike and no you do not need to join the roadies if you don't want to.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Assuming you go out for a certain time rather than distance the workout will be pretty similar other than hills. Hills with lack of gears forces you out of saddle and work those muscles.

If you want better workout get a butchers bike

Sharky

Guru
In terms of workout, I don't think it matters. You have gearing on both bikes, so if the load is too much, you just change down to a lower gear.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well, you already have a proper bike. There's no bike properer than a Brompton.

But to be honest, I must admit that I find my grown up bike more comfortable on longer rides. And the gears are lower for the big hills.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Whatever....... :rolleyes:

Well, you already have a proper bike. There's no bike properer that a Brompton.

But to be honest, I must admit that I find my grown up bike more comfortable on longer rides. And the gears are lower for the big hills.
Correct answer. Bike elitism is silly. Any bike is proper, except recumbents :whistle: (j/k)

It's not about speed or distance, it's about being able to consistently put down power over the duration while remaining comfortable and riding at a cadence you can sustain.

Some say that riding hard while in too big a gear is a really good way to build strength, I say from bitter experience that it's a really good way to end up with knee problems.

tyred

Legendary Member
Only if you want to. Bromptons are proper bikes and I often choose mine in preference to my large wheeled bicycles.

It's comfortable and relaxing to ride and if you plan on shopping or anything while you are out, the front bag can take a lot of stuff.

I love my Brompton but it's not my choice for long rides. Just the position on a racer bike would make you more Aero and faster for the same effort.

Sharky

Guru
Some say that riding hard while in too big a gear is a really good way to build strength, I say from bitter experience that it's a really good way to end up with knee problems.
I've found that for training, using a 68" SS bike is a good workout. On the ascents, it becomes a big gear and builds strength. But as soon as it becomes flat or down hill, cadence goes into 3 digits and you work on flexibility. I think it is the continuous use of high gears that gives knee problems.

Incidently, on my rolling training loop. It is the SS which is actually quicker then my multi geared bike.

Top Bottom