Do I need carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Paulq said:
As it stands I find it too easy to say 'I'm tired' or 'weather looks dodgy' after my daily 120 mile commute rather than getting home and getting on the bike.

For a split second, I thought that was a BIKE commute!!

Don't be too hard on yourself though. It is very difficult to get motivated after a hard day, you just want to have a beer and unwind. Cycling is a good way of unwinding too... once you're out. It just takes a helluva lot of effort to get there! Every time you do manage it, give yourself a 'well done'.

I remember my early days when I used to do circuits of Regents Park. It was tough getting up to get out for an hour, I used to chastise myself for turning the alarm off and going back to sleep. Then sometimes I felt as if I was wasting my time, as the fit roadies flew past me. Felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. Then I realised I was just demoralising myself. So I decided to stop the criticism. Every time I got out on the bike was success. When the roadies flew past, I'd tell myself that at least I was there! It became easier to make the effort once I stopped being self critical.

Do what you can, when you can. Nobody expects any more or less ;)

Bigtwin

schaeffs

First post!

I just bought a Marin Highway One (Carbon) after riding an old Trek 7200 multitrak (literally pulled out of the shed after sitting there for years)

Massive difference in riding of course - but the thing I noticed most was the way the Marin smoothed out the bumps and ruts on the off road cycle path - it really does make a difference damping wise.

Whilst I am sure the technology in the Marin would have made a difference as it's a 10 year newer bike - this is a subjective feel and the Carbon bike seems to have an advantage in this respect over an Alu one.

Hope that helps!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Friend of mine bought a Marin One Carbon a few years back. He loves it, has done a lot of mileage on it. says it's the most comfortable bike to ride that he has.

schaeffs said:
First post!

I just bought a Marin Highway One (Carbon) after riding an old Trek 7200 multitrak (literally pulled out of the shed after sitting there for years)

Massive difference in riding of course - but the thing I noticed most was the way the Marin smoothed out the bumps and ruts on the off road cycle path - it really does make a difference damping wise.

Whilst I am sure the technology in the Marin would have made a difference as it's a 10 year newer bike - this is a subjective feel and the Carbon bike seems to have an advantage in this respect over an Alu one.

Hope that helps!

Mothyman

just posted to keep PaulQ at the front page...he needs encouragement with his fitness programme so he can order his CARBON bike.

keep us in touch Paul

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I now NEED Carbon! As of Lunch time tomorrow, my beloved Spesh Allez Elite is no longer the sexiest bike on the block (well in the office)! Bloody colleague has bought a Pinarello! So I need an S Works to compete in blinginess, no other reason of course!

Bigtwin

Wigsie said:
I now NEED Carbon! As of Lunch time tomorrow, my beloved Spesh Allez Elite is no longer the sexiest bike on the block (well in the office)! Bloody colleague has bought a Pinarello! So I need an S Works to compete in blinginess, no other reason of course!

Or a Ciocc. Or a Colnalgo....

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Wigsie said:

totally wrong, carbon is old hat and fragile in presence of clumsy oaf:biggrin: What you need is a mirror polished Ti bike with all the bling, a cool £6k should see you on a bike to match your stature.

Bigtwin

MacBludgeon said:
totally wrong, carbon is old hat and fragile in presence of clumsy oaf:biggrin: What you need is a mirror polished Ti bike with all the bling, a cool £6k should see you on a bike to match your stature.

See! SEE! He said Ti!!

How many Ti mes do I have to tell you?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
MacBludgeon said:

Yet again you cut me deep! :tongue::laugh:

Ironically these guys http://www.enigmabikes.com/ are about 1/2 a mile from my folks house!

AND they do cyclescheme... but a little on the pricey side, maybe I will be divorced next year so will be able to afford it! xx(:ohmy::ohmy:

Top Bottom