Do I need carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
See - you have been very helpful but just replicated the demons in my head. Some say do, some say don't ;).

I haven't got a bloody clue what to do. I am very tempted by the Giant TCR Advanced 3 though - looks slightly better all round than the Scott CR1 Team but not much in it I bet.

Paul

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

mickle said:
And anyway, if you're actually after lightweight consider; my RM Sc mountain bike frame weighs 2.9lbs, in it's lightest fully geared incarnation it weighed just under 20lbs (3lbs less than my mates Bianchi road bike :snigger: ). The frame might take up the most space but it's the parts which weigh. A bit of thought applied to component selection can easily match or exceed the weight savings promised by a carbon frameset.

That's actually a very good point for the types of riding I will be doing. The Giant Defy 2.5 I am looking at weighs in at around 9.4 kgs fully loaded whereas the Trek Madone that my mate rides weighs around 7.7 kg - a difference of less than 2kg.

In my mind that is so insignificant a difference that it just doesn't justify my spending another £700 - £900 on a carbon bike at this stage. The major weight difference on our respective bikes will be my weight (I'm quite a big bloke!) vs his weight (he's a spindly bugger).

I just don't think that's enough of a gain to justify it to myself. The Giant alu bike is spec'd out with Tiagra, not great but functional enough, and I can stick on a Fizik saddle and carbon seatpost with the cash I would save I reckon.

I think I'm getting there......

Paul

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Bigtwin said:
Carbon fork, stays/back triangle and seat post will get you most if not all of the way there for £1k less.

I'm no pedal God, just 1/2 decent club cyclist and triathlete but tried a few bikes and decided that the above did enough and left £££ for quality components and wheels which you really notice every ride.

So I'd say that unless you have dosh a plenty for top spec gear on either frame, go mixed.

In truth, 5lb of tyre pressure in choice of tyre will make as much difference as the frame in most cases. Uuuuuuuh! Did I say that out loud! Ill fate befall me in eternity...

Big Twin talks sense (when I have my sensible hat on), I would love full carbon, but I think alot of that is just because it is carbon not because it will make a significant difference to my cycling performance.

Paulq said:
That's actually a very good point for the types of riding I will be doing. The Giant Defy 2.5 I am looking at weighs in at around 9.4 kgs fully loaded whereas the Trek Madone that my mate rides weighs around 7.7 kg - a difference of less than 2kg.

In my mind that is so insignificant a difference that it just doesn't justify my spending another £700 - £900 on a carbon bike at this stage. The major weight difference on our respective bikes will be my weight (I'm quite a big bloke!) vs his weight (he's a spindly bugger).
l

This is another point to consider, many returning cyclists (myself included) have more than an ounce of tub around their waist and losing some or all of that will make more of a difference to the way many of us ride than between a carbon/alu mix and full carbon bike.

wyno70

You need to get which one you WANT. If you don't you'll still want it!!!!!

Need doesn't really come into it.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

wyno70 said:
You need to get which one you WANT. If you don't you'll still want it!!!!!

Need doesn't really come into it.

Mate I REALLY REALLY want the Giant carbon but having to pay an additional 900 pounds to experience a minimal difference in ride is not something I can get my head around. Aesthetically there's no contest but I'd look a muppet at the back of the bunch on a posh bike. At least my 'inferior' bike gives me an excuse.

xx(:biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers

Paul

the_oaf

I'm in the same situation as you Paul - well sort of. I don't need the Spesh Tarmac but I sure as hell want it. My Allez is fine, I really like it and it goes well on club rides. Inevitably, the bike is much better than me. But...like the others have said, I think you should always get the best you can afford.

You'll never be climbing a tough hill thinking, 'I wish I'd bought the alu'.
xx(

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

the_oaf said:
I'm in the same situation as you Paul - well sort of. I don't need the Spesh Tarmac but I sure as hell want it. My Allez is fine, I really like it and it goes well on club rides. Inevitably, the bike is much better than me. But...like the others have said, I think you should always get the best you can afford.

You'll never be climbing a tough hill thinking, 'I wish I'd bought the alu'.
xx(

I know what you mean. Tell you what, you buy the Tarmac and I'll buy the Giant TCR Advanced? :blush::biggrin:.

Seriously though, do you consider that the Tarmac is really worth the extra payout? They are all gorgeous bikes but I just wonder how much we are all drawn to the 'bling factor' rather than the effectiveness of the bike for us mortal, normal riders?

My LBS have been really good and it's because I am so loyal to them that I will only buy from them; and they only really stock Scott, Giant and Dawes as mainstream sellers. Their view 'for me' is that the alu is a better option because of where I am at fitness and riding wise.

I write this at 14:56. I will be entering my LBS at 4:45. Pressure or what? :laugh::sad::smile:.

Cheers

Paul

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Paulq said:
I know what you mean. Tell you what, you buy the Tarmac and I'll buy the Giant TCR Advanced? xx(:biggrin:.

Seriously though, do you consider that the Tarmac is really worth the extra payout? They are all gorgeous bikes but I just wonder how much we are all drawn to the 'bling factor' rather than the effectiveness of the bike for us mortal, normal riders?

My LBS have been really good and it's because I am so loyal to them that I will only buy from them; and they only really stock Scott, Giant and Dawes as mainstream sellers. Their view 'for me' is that the alu is a better option because of where I am at fitness and riding wise.

I write this at 14:56. I will be entering my LBS at 4:45. Pressure or what? :blush::sad::laugh:.

Cheers

Paul

two questions

1. Can you afford it Paul?
and
2. Do you see yourself improving fitness wise?

If yes to both it may be worth stumping up the extra spondoolies... then you will have NO regrets and when you improve you will have a bike worthy of your prowess and skill!!

I wanted a Roubaix or a Tarmac but couldnt really afford it as we were expecting a 3rd child and really needed a few other bits, But I will have one... one day!

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Wigsie said:
two questions
1. Can you afford it Paul?
and
2. Do you see yourself improving fitness wise?

I could 'just about' afford it and it would probably force me to ride it knowing that I had invested so much into it. However as the time approaches I really don't think I could do it enough justice to warrant the extra cost so am in a place where I think I will order the alu one and simply think again if and when my fitness improves.

Thanks to everybody who replied though - it's been very helpful.

Cheers

Paul

just4fun

you could always meet somewhere in the middle with carbon forks and back triangle... you can tell by my terminology im an authority on this!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
just4fun said:
you could always meet somewhere in the middle with carbon forks and back triangle... you can tell by my terminology im an authority on this!

I am pretty sure this is the technical term! :angry:

Bigtwin

Bigtwin said:
Carbon fork, stays/back triangle and seat post will get you most if not all of the way there for £1k less.

I'm no pedal God, just 1/2 decent club cyclist and triathlete but tried a few bikes and decided that the above did enough and left £££ for quality components and wheels which you really notice every ride.

So I'd say that unless you have dosh a plenty for top spec gear on either frame, go mixed.

In truth, 5lb of tyre pressure in choice of tyre will make as much difference as the frame in most cases. Uuuuuuuh! Did I say that out loud! Ill fate befall me in eternity...

just4fun said:

Great minds...

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

I walked in to buy the Defy 2.5.

Looked at the Carbon.

Walked out again without uttering a sound other than to the demons in my head.

Am going back tomorrow.

Paul

Bigtwin

Paulq said:
I walked in to buy the Defy 2.5.

Looked at the Carbon.

Walked out again without uttering a sound other than to the demons in my head.

Am going back tomorrow.

Paul

What about Ti?

Top Bottom