Do I need Marathon Winters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Having had no complaints about the speedy delivery of my tyres from Germany earlier this week, I managed to get the Winters fitted today as anticipated, and now just need to take it easy on my first couple of commutes to bed the studs in.

I had a nagging doubt that they might not actually fit – once I had one tyre on the rim, the 700x35c Winter did look significantly larger comparing it side by side with my 700x32c Conti Touring Plus tyre.... Turns out the mudguard clearance is fine though, so if anyone's wondering, yes, you can fit these tyres to a Boardman Hybrid Comp with SKS Longboard P45 mudguards :thumbsup:

marathonwinters1.jpg

marathonwinters3.jpg

marathonwinters4.jpg

Attachments

• marathonwinters2.jpg
    marathonwinters2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 29

potsy

Rambler
Think I'll make mine tomorrow's fettling job, about time they went back on the hybrid :thumbsup:

Mallory

Thanks for the update. I collected my hybrid comp today :smile:

My winters are en-route from Germany and i'm about to place an order for my longboards 45's.

Could you show an updated pic of the whole bikes??

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
i see you had to bend the front left stay of your guards??
That's right – a necessary evil with the BB5 disc brakes, but really easy to do. At first I put the stay through the calliper (which I'd spotted on a previous thread), but I wasn't 100% happy with that, so straightened and then re-bent the stay so it routed underneath the calliper. Works a treat :thumbsup:

potsy

Rambler
At the moment, the forecast here is hovering around (or even below) freezing for my morning commutes all week... looks like I got these fitted just in time :smile:
A quick look on MCL tells me the hybrid has been used a grand total of 4 times in 2012, with a massive 21 miles on the clock.
1st job will be to make sure it's not rusted away ^_^

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
A quick look on MCL tells me the hybrid has been used a grand total of 4 times in 2012, with a massive 21 miles on the clock.
1st job will be to make sure it's not rusted away ^_^
21 miles?! Crikey... my commute's ~14.3miles each way, so I'll do more than that on Monday alone! Hope you've got plenty WD40.......:rofl:

Mallory

How long did it take you to get used to these gear shifters??

Shifting down is okay but shifting up!!! It just doesn't feel natural the way the lever is!!

Sara_H

Guru
Thanks for the words of wisdom and links everyone, I've just ordered a pair of MW's from actionsports.DE.

Now, may I ask, what is the bedding in procedure?

potsy

Rambler
Now, may I ask, what is the bedding in procedure?
There's a bedding in procedure? :whistle:

Trying again to fit some of my replacement studs that Schwalbe sent me after I had a slightly different 1st ride to the reccomended one, at this rate it's going to take me the rest of the night to fit 6 :sweat:

Top Bottom