Do I need Marathon Winters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, @mrmacmusic I have used Maurine the ice bike all this week for my commute: it was icy only on the Saturday (yesterday) morning, it rained loads a few days, drizzled some a few days.
I can say that when it was icy the winters saved the day - when it was just wet they were just like normal tyres apart from the noise, which is anyhow getting less the more you ride on them.
On the other thread (I think) somebody said they fit them at the changing of the clock, leave them all winter for the commute whatever the weather with no ill effects.
Imo, the winters are worth the money if you only have the bike as transport when the roads are icy, unless somebody can suggest a better tyre cheaper.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Well, @mrmacmusic I have used Maurine the ice bike all this week for my commute: it was icy only on the Saturday (yesterday) morning, it rained loads a few days, drizzled some a few days.
I can say that when it was icy the winters saved the day - when it was just wet they were just like normal tyres apart from the noise, which is anyhow getting less the more you ride on them.
Sounds good Pat :thumbsup: – I had my first commute on them this morning, and have to say I'm really impressed. Despite it obviously being only damp today with no signs of ice (yet), they felt solid, smooth and rolled really well. With all I've read about these tyres, I was expecting them to feel a bit wobbly maybe, but there was none of that. I also thought they'd be slower, but in all honesty, I thought they felt faster than the Conti Tour Plus tyres I swapped out :huh:, and I was actually faster today than several days last week.
Got used to the gravelly 'snap, crackle and pop' sound very quickly too, although every single pedestrian I came across turned around to see what the noise was as I was approaching :blush:
On the other thread (I think) somebody said they fit them at the changing of the clock, leave them all winter for the commute whatever the weather with no ill effects. Imo, the winters are worth the money if you only have the bike as transport when the roads are icy, unless somebody can suggest a better tyre cheaper.
Well, I'm planning on leaving them on for the next few months – I'm happy that I got them at a good price, and will (hopefully) get a few winters out them, which reduces the impact of the investment somewhat.

I really wasn't sure about whether I should get a set of these tyres, which is why I started this thread in the first place – clearly not every commute through the winter will be icy, and I didn't know if they would be that great on dry (or wet) tarmac. I'm glad I took the plunge, as they are better than I expected when there isn't any ice to contend with, and ultimately should be the mutts' when there are icy patches en-route. Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Sara_H

Guru
Mine haven't come yet. I'm a bit nervous about them TBH.

Like the OP, I have very few icy days to contend with (frost is my worst enemy) but when it snows here I can have compacted ice/snow for days at a time.

I'm just being a wuss, am worried about using them on ice for the first time. We bought a 4x4 this year - i'm scared of driving that for the first time in snow too!

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran

Like the OP, I have very few icy days to contend with (frost is my worst enemy) but when it snows here I can have compacted ice/snow for days at a time.

I'm just being a wuss, am worried about using them on ice for the first time. We bought a 4x4 this year - i'm scared of driving that for the first time in snow too!
Don't be nervous Sara – admittedly I've only just done my first 14 miles on them this morning, but whilst I was expecting a totally different riding experience to my Conti Tour Plus tyres I just didn't get one. The Winters rolled just as well (if not faster), and were secure when cornering. Yes, they were a bit noisier, and I was being careful not to accelerate or brake or turn too quickly.

I think being cautious is good – I'm still going to take care when riding over ice, however that's when those spikes come into play and should prevent a nasty fall. Never had a 4x4 personally, but whilst cars have 4 wheels so don't fall over, they don't have spikes for traction – I'm quite looking forward to having more traction on slippy surfaces with the Winters than I would with my car! :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

Don't be nervous Sara: the winters were really great on the icy park the other day, and on the industrial estate I use as a shortcut.
Last year I took a tumble in that park, on Saturday I could feel immediately my grip on the road was going to be fine,
On embedding the studs for the first 30 or so miles try to ride a smooth(ish) road so you don't loose too many studs over potholes. I lost 6 in total - 4 on back, 2 on front, but the grip is still great.
I am now more worried of slipping on ice while putting my foot down at lights or while going down the steps leading to my flat: still have to carry the bike up and down those if I want to ride anywhere :huh:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I'm so glad I invested in Marathon Winters :wahhey:as if I hadn't, either the bike would have had to stay at home, or I'm quite sure I'd have been on my back-side more than once this week....

They – and I – have now had a proper winter commuting test, having to contend with frost, black ice, a few inches of snow, some slush and re-frozen ruts these past few days, all of which were coped with admirably (if a little tentatively at first) :whistle:

I've read elsewhere that the knobblier tread pattern on the Snow Studs or Ice Spikers would be better suited for snow, but having dropped the pressure in the Winters, I had no real problems riding in slush or 2" of overnight snow (plus neither of these other tyres would fit my Boardman anyway!) However I'm really not a fan (yet) of how icy ruts want to steer the bike for me... or that little front wheel slide before the studs grip that sometimes happens when cornering :eek:

I'm new to winter cyclo-commuting this year, and am still getting used to dealing with how different the bike feels and handles in icy, slushy and snowy conditions, developing my winter cycling techniques and proceeding with caution! Ultimately though, I'm delighted to still be commuting despite the winter weather, which was the point of getting the Winters in the first place. Happy Bunny :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

Well done @mrmcmusic the first time is a bit scary, specially the corners, I'm a wimp anyway :rolleyes:
Like you said, it is great to be able to commute all winter :wahhey:

potsy

Rambler
I think mine will be getting their commuting debut tonight, -3c has been mooted in the forecast and there has been plenty of rain the last couple of days so the roads were already dodgy.
Bit nervous now :sweat:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Well done @mrmcmusic the first time is a bit scary, specially the corners, I'm a wimp anyway :rolleyes:
Like you said, it is great to be able to commute all winter :wahhey:
Cheers pat :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

I think mine will be getting their commuting debut tonight, -3c has been mooted in the forecast and there has been plenty of rain the last couple of days so the roads were already dodgy.
BigCat and I shall be waiting for you to tell us you got in work safe :hugs:
I've got to leave at 6.30 am tomorrow morning :ph34r: :cold:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Strangely, according to the forecast I was expecting it to be -2°C this morning, but my Garmin only dipped to a balmy +2°C earlier despite it feeling much, much colder and there being lots more ice about today... weird!

Going by what my Garmin tells me (as opposed to any meteorological website or TV forecast, or colleague with a temperature gauge in their car), my coldest commute this week was -2.8°C :cold: , and me and my Winters survived that upright and intact :thumbsup:

Don't be nervous – cautious is fine, and being careful comes highly recommended, as I reckon the Winters won't give you miraculous gravity-defying superpowers if you end up over-cooking it or being stupid... ice is still ice and commands respect IMHO!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
However I'm really not a fan (yet) of how icy ruts want to steer the bike for me... or that little front wheel slide before the studs grip that sometimes happens when cornering :eek:

:biggrin: yep my heart still lurches and a few times I've been sure I've been going down before the grip kicks in.

potsy

Rambler
BigCat and I shall be waiting for you to tell us you got in work safe :hugs:
I've got to leave at 6.30 am tomorrow morning :ph34r: :cold:
Just tries again to try and fit a stud to the winters with my new secret formula...

....it worked :dance:

PM me your paypal details and I'll tell you how :tongue:

Top Bottom