Do I need Marathon Winters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
BigCat and I shall be waiting for you to tell us you got in work safe :hugs:
I've got to leave at 6.30 am tomorrow morning :ph34r: :cold:
Well I did it, 20 mile round trip with the winters, no issues other than the noise which you do start to forget about after a while though you do get a few strange looks as you pass pedestrians, definitely didn't need a bell as a few 'stray' ones crossing roads heard me coming :biggrin:
Even went through the icy park on the way home just to give them more of a test, speed was only slightly slower than my Tricross with it's 35mm Supremes, very happy :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Well I did it, 20 mile round trip with the winters, no issues other than the noise which you do start to forget about after a while though you do get a few strange looks as you pass pedestrians, definitely didn't need a bell as a few 'stray' ones crossing roads heard me coming :biggrin:
The noise is a distinct advantage to the Winters!
Even went through the icy park on the way home just to give them more of a test, speed was only slightly slower than my Tricross with it's 35mm Supremes, very happy :thumbsup:
Good stuff potsy :thumbsup: I also found when pumped up they weren't really any slower than my non-studded tyres, but once you reduce the pressure for optimum grip, they do naturally slow down a bit. Personally I'm still getting used to my wheels being steered off course because of small icy ruts – there's a section of my commute on very smooth tarmac which still has icy ruts from tracks made earlier on in the week that's pretty dodgy even with the Winters... goodness only knows what it'd be like without them:eek:

potsy

Rambler
MrMac, what pressure do you run them at?
Didn't really put specific pressure in mine this time, think I pumped them to around 60 psi when I fitted them 2 weeks ago, not touched them since so assume there's only 50-55 in there now.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
MrMac, what pressure do you run them at?
Didn't really put specific pressure in mine this time, think I pumped them to around 60 psi when I fitted them 2 weeks ago, not touched them since so assume there's only 50-55 in there now.
Sad to say that I'm not 100% sure... :blush:

When I first fitted them, I pumped them right up to the specified maximum 85psi (at least "just shy of 90psi" according to the inline gauge on my Topeak Road Morph G) as there wasn't any ice about. That probably explains why during bedding-in, they felt just as fast as the Conti tyres I'd just taken off. This week though, I let some air out before setting off on Monday so they didn't feel brick hard when doing an unscientific thumb test, and I've subsequently let out a bit more after each commute. They're probably around 50psi at the moment, so probably not offering optimum grip ice, but I was trying to strike a balance between grip on the slippy stuff, and progress on clear tarmac sections.

Going to get the pump out and check the pressures now before I set off home shortly....... (bows head in shame)

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
MrMac, what pressure do you run them at?.
Take 2.... ^_^

I can now confirm that I'm running the front at the specified minimum pressure of 35psi, and the rear at ~50psi (according to the only pressure gauge I have on my Road Morph G pump). My thumb clearly doesn't know what 35psi feels like, so for all the time it takes, I shall be using the pump with gauge in future when fettling with the pressures :whistle:

potsy

Rambler
I'll have a play about with different pressure over the next few days, am tempted to put them on the Tricross instead as it's a nicer bike to ride.
Got some more studs coming from a nice man at Schwalbe too :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ice almost all gone here (for now :smile:) apart form some iffy bits in the park, glided over them no probs this morning.
Like mrmacmusic, I had my winters at max pressure during bedding in time, then, when the ice came, left them rather soft.
I am also not sure about the exact pressure, as my gauge is malfunctioning, starts at 40 psi :ohmy: but I've got a new one coming.
For sure, when they are so soft that I can squeeze them, the grip on ice is great.
I have to confess I bought myself a Christmas present :wahhey:a pair of the mountain bike snow studs - on sale, eh, eh, should it snow again for putting on my Gonzales, he's neglected at the moment having only 1.75's.
I'm quite liking the studs for the winter - of course, speed is not an issue for me :laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I want an mbso now so I can have snow studs too :hyper:
These piddly little 35mm tyres are just so thin :tongue:
Maybe if you reduce the weight of the rider :laugh:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Got some more studs coming from a nice man at Schwalbe too :thumbsup:
Diego by any chance? He sent me some replacement studs too! Or rather after questioning why they were sharp and pointy it turns out he had actually sent me replacement spikes for the Ice Spiker Pro by mistake. The correct flat, not-so-pointy studs to suit my Winters are on their way now though :thumbsup:

mattsr

I've just finished the 20 mile "bedding in" process with my new Marathon winters, ready for the predicted cold weather next week. I've been running them at 70psi and they feel not very different to the Conti Sport Contacts I was running before. Don't seem to have lost any studs, although replacements seem easy enough to get:-

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a5...for-ice-spiker-marathon-winter-snow-stud.html

I rather like the noise they make- reminds me of a crackling log fire, very approppriate for the time of year!! :snowball:

After a couple of winters of feeling vaguely terrified each time I set off on an icy commute, and one or two offs to boot, I'm rather looking forward to an icy morning to try them out! Come on winter, do your worst- I'm ready!!

Norm

The noise gets less as the miles go up, mine are down to a constant buzz now rather than the snap, crackle'n'pop from the first couple of dozen miles.

Talking of which, I thought that the bedding in period was 40 miles rather than 20. And don't forget they won't work miracles, you'll still need to be careful on slippery stuff. They'll improve your chances considerably but that's from a very low base.

mattsr

The noise gets less as the miles go up, mine are down to a constant buzz now rather than the snap, crackle'n'pop from the first couple of dozen miles.

Talking of which, I thought that the bedding in period was 40 miles rather than 20. And don't forget they won't work miracles, you'll still need to be careful on slippery stuff. They'll improve your chances considerably but that's from a very low base.

Thanks for the advice- I'll be cautious!! :thumbsup:

And I've just double checked the label that was wrapped around the tyres- Schwalbe recommend a bedding in period of 25 miles, or 40km. I'll do the last 5 tomorrow.

Top Bottom