Do I need Marathon Winters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The noise gets less as the miles go up, mine are down to a constant buzz now rather than the snap, crackle'n'pop from the first couple of dozen miles.

Talking of which, I thought that the bedding in period was 40 miles rather than 20.

I thought so too, did the 40 miles: it actually said 40 km on the label ... I'm reading everything in miles :rolleyes:

About the noise: I noticed that if they are silent, I'm riding on ice :ph34r:

Norm

And I've just double checked the label that was wrapped around the tyres- Schwalbe recommend a bedding in period of 25 miles, or 40km. I'll do the last 5 tomorrow.
Oh... Oops! :smile: Well, never mind, I've done about 150 now without encountering much ice. :thumbsup:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Well I finally got around to fitting my winters tonight, they went on relatively easily too. Tomorrow will be their first outing and will take them halfway through their bedding-in period. I did have a litle problem with the rear tyre fouling the mudguard but a few minutes' fettling soon sorted that.

GC

potsy

Rambler
No need; drop an email to schwalbe UK (via their website) and receive gratis an envelope with a few dozen inside.
Got mine through the post yesterday, not that I'm sad enough to count or anything but I got 95 in a little envelope, thanks to Will at Schwalbe :thumbsup:

Norm

Got mine through the post yesterday, not that I'm sad enough to count or anything but I got 95 in a little envelope, thanks to Will at Schwalbe :thumbsup:
Lucky bugger, I only got 75. Well, around 75. -ish. Not that I counted or anything.

After having had a bit of a lay down on the tarmac of a side street before the main his morning, think I'll fit them to a bike tomorrow before venturing out.
It's more the thought of getting the M+ on and off thats been having me procrastinate.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Going to put mine on this weekend and get them bedded in for January. My labels say bed them in on a hard surface for 25 miles. Hopefully they will then stay on until March time as I don't have any spare wheels.

mattsr

Going to put mine on this weekend and get them bedded in for January. My labels say bed them in on a hard surface for 25 miles. Hopefully they will then stay on until March time as I don't have any spare wheels.

I put mine on a couple of weeks ago and have been quite happily cycling on them ever since, despite the lack of snow and ice thus far. Pumped them up to about 85psi and they zip along quite happily, accompanied by the sound of a crackling log fire. I too plan to leave them on until March, when I'll swap them for Marathon Pluses.

I've only lost one stud from each tyre so far, but I took the advice given earlier in this thread and emailed Schwalbe UK- got a reply the same day from Will saying he would pop a bag full of spares in the post to me. :cheers:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I put mine on a couple of weeks ago and have been quite happily cycling on them ever since, despite the lack of snow and ice thus far. Pumped them up to about 85psi and they zip along quite happily, accompanied by the sound of a crackling log fire. I too plan to leave them on until March, when I'll swap them for Marathon Pluses.

I've only lost one stud from each tyre so far, but I took the advice given earlier in this thread and emailed Schwalbe UK- got a reply the same day from Will saying he would pop a bag full of spares in the post to me. :cheers:

Just emailed them asking them if it is possible to replace lost studs, hopefully they will ask for my address to send some spares. With the current exchange rate my tyres came to £59 for the pair.

Top Bottom