Do I need/want a helmet camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

viniga

Guru
Had an incident today with a dangerous overtake from a van. Bad enough that when I caught up with the van at the next set of traffic lights I asked him why he had performed the manoeuvre and put my life in danger.

He got very angry. Shouted abuse and when pulling away started to drive in a manner to deliberately intimidate me. Driving very close and then braking suddenly. The usual childish road-rage crap that you see people doing (what is it that turns us into this?).

No witnesses don't have the reg number; do have the company name from the van - company that he owns as he stated when I said I might phone the number.

Up until now I've thought about a camera but decided no, I'm angry though, and realise I might be able to take some action if I had evidence.

So what's the real-deal - are helmet camera's making a difference? If I get one am I more likely to start chasing after folk after more minor incidents that this - will I turn into a cycling vigilante? Will the police (in Glasgow) treat this/me seriously?

What’s the experience of those who are using them?
Those who are not, you must be dealing with this type of stuff at least now-and-again, so why aren’t you using one?
Safe cycling - Viniga

So what's the real-deal - are helmet camera's making a difference?
Not for me to say as I am too involved. My response from First recently suggesting they will be reminding all of their drivers that cyclists need room, suggest they do, though.

If I get one am I more likely to start chasing after folk after more minor incidents that this - will I turn into a cycling vigilante?
That depends on you. I doesn't make any difference if I have a camera on or not, if I catch up with a bad driver I will ask why he/she did what they did. I'm no shrinking violet! It can chill you out, though, knowing you have caught the incident takes some of the anger away, as you know you can take action. Imagine how pi$$ed of I would have been had I not had my camera when that petrol tanker nearly wiped me out. Without the camera, no-one would have taken it seriously.

Will the police (in Glasgow) treat this/me seriously?

In the end, they did with my tanker incident. I still had to push of course and I still faced prejudices.

99.99% of the time, I don't notice it's there. It is only after something has happened that I think, 'hey, I'll have that on camera, I'll look later'.

Those who are not, you must be dealing with this type of stuff at least now-and-again, so why aren’t you using one?
I can't speak for others, but remember that the vast majority of my incidents are minor, and if I didn't have the camera I would forget about them fairly quickly. When out on training rides (I don't take my camera) I can only remember having one incident. I'm sure I had more, but as I didn't have the camera and I didn't 'youtube' them, I forget them.

thomas

the tank engine

I've had some good replies from companies when shown the footage...but most of the stuff just gets shoved on youtube and then I forget about it :biggrin:

Hopefully it brings some benefits, but if nothing else I quite enjoy editing the videos and uploading them :smile:

If I get one am I more likely to start chasing after folk after more minor incidents that this - will I turn into a cycling vigilante?

I tend not to bother. From time to time I might make a point, but most of the time I can control any 'red mist' and realise it's just not worth the hassle.

Having a video is more useful than just your word, so possibly a bit...

I quite like it, I generally put it on if I'm going out...but it's so easy to use it doesn't take any time. The hour and a half charge isn't going to stop me doing a longer route though. Don't let it dominate everything, but certainly, I wouldn't want to commute through rush hour without it.

OP
OP
viniga

viniga

Guru
In terms of the particular incident you will just have to trust me that I was cycling safely according to the Highway Code and Cyclecraft and that the van driver was driving dangerously... because I don't have a helmet camera to prove it.

If one thing had changed, car pulling out of the adjoining junction that I was forced into, pedestrian crossing the road unexpectedly etc this 'minor' incident would have led to serious injury - possibly even for the van driver but most likely me.

BTW the concept of minor incidents which when they co-incide add up to a major incident is known as 'the swiss cheese model' (when the holes line up). And the way this type of risk is mitigated in industry is to reduce the liklihood of these minor incidents happening - will cycle cameras by their (increasing) presence do this?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think cameras make you yourself cycle and behave better, and they most definitely affect the way motorists behave, also for the better. No-one wants to be on video acting like an idiot.

viniga said:
In terms of the particular incident you will just have to trust me that I was cycling safely according to the Highway Code and Cyclecraft and that the van driver was driving dangerously... because I don't have a helmet camera to prove it.

If one thing had changed, car pulling out of the adjoining junction that I was forced into, pedestrian crossing the road unexpectedly etc this 'minor' incident would have led to serious injury - possibly even for the van driver but most likely me.

BTW the concept of minor incidents which when they co-incide add up to a major incident is known as 'the swiss cheese model' (when the holes line up). And the way this type of risk is mitigated in industry is to reduce the liklihood of these minor incidents happening - will cycle cameras by their (increasing) presence do this?

Yes your right about minor leading to major.

Most of my incidents are minor, but what they do is take away the safety margin, such that if another bad thing happens at the same time, i.e. hit a pothole, then the minor quickly becomes major.

Will cameras make a difference? I don't think they will make things worse. They show drivers who have no experience of cycling what it can be like. I've certainly had drivers say to me that watching my videos has opened their eyes. I've also had cyclists thank me. For example a couple of weeks ago I got a message from a cyclist thanking me for a video I put up about the door zone. They had never thought about how close they had cycled to parked cars before, and would now give them a wider berth. That alone makes it worth it for me.

Armegatron

Cameras have made a big difference to the way I ride. If an incident happens Im interested to know if there was anything I could have done to prevent it. I admit hand on heart that when I first started cycling my riding style was awful, but this improved by watching videos of other cyclists and made me aware of the dangers I was putting myself in.

Now that Im a camera cyclist, I can take the self improvement further by reviewing footage of my own riding style.

Tough one. Personally I can shrug some incidents off, but if its serious enough I know I have a witness in the camera.

As Thomas said, its better than nothing.

I enjoy using it more so for watching back and sharing the odities we as cyclists see when on the bikes. There have also been occasions that I have watched footage back of an incident and learned that I could have changed something in my riding style / attitude etc to avoid it happening again so this is defiantly useful. Also, I enjoy the chats with people when they ask if its a camera on my head :biggrin:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My camera has a massive red light on the front. and you can see it very clearly. I very rarely talk to anyone after they have done something, and if i do it's because they opened their window and started talking first.

But as mikey said, it makes you behave and i believe i'm a better cyclist due to having it on my head.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Viniga, your reasons for considering a cam are almost exactly the same as minewere.

I have no interest in posting endless offences on you tube (sorry if this does not support the rest of you) I just wanted a cam for my own personal safety after an incident just like yours.

In over 2,000 miles I have had only one incident that needed it, but for a £50 I'm glad I have it.

As far as the police, the MET police actually told me that if I had a head cam, the incident probably wouldn't have happended..perhaps that's why I have so few.

In terms of "making you look for trouble", you kind of forget its there and ride as you would usually, but when it gets a little dicey you do think to yourself..."if this kicks off, At least I have some evidence"

My channel on you tube is:

here

take a look and see the sort of quality you can get for £50

Coco

Viniga,
You're welcome to borrow my Muvi to see if you get on with them. I'm usually rushing out to work and either forget to put it on, or forget to charge it. So I'll not miss it for a few weeks.

cheers

BenM

Veteran
I got a Muvi when I got the Orca - so that I would be able to review my rides and also partly so that I could record, for posterity, the atrocities visited on cyclists round here; it turns out that, so far, there are not many, aside from atrocious road surfaces ;)

My own riding style is much more laid back now I lie down to ride and I am always slightly aware that I am recording my behaviour as much as anything else - to the undoubted benefit of other road users :biggrin:

As someone else mentioned £50 isn't much for a "just in case" device which may when push comes to shove make it more likely for you to be taken seriously by the powers that be.

B.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I think of mine as a black box recorder. I don't bother looking back at the footage, it's there in case of need.

One thing I notice is that I get less angry when the camera is on. I think it's a power thing - bad / aggressive driving can make you feel very powerless on a bike and the camera is a way of capturing some power back. Instead of shouting or making gestures at the driver I shout the numberplate to the camera to make sure it's recorded.

Crankarm

Guru
Vikeonabike said:
I usually just follow up with a home visit....

In uniform:evil:

Yes I guess you have an added advantage. Do you have it on when they open their front doors and you explain why you are there and show them your warrant card? I would love to see their faces. I bet they sh1t themselves :angry:.

Top Bottom