Do i really need new wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
@runner I don't know if I've missed it in here but, what are your current wheel rims/hubs?

What replacements did the shop recommend?

stephec

Legendary Member
the shop said..not a lot but the wheels are campag Khamsin (campage etrto 622x15c aluminium alloy) would this be a good choice..price looks ok..
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-khamsin-asymmetric-g3-wheelset/

Is that what you've got now?

I've never used them so can't really comment, but at that price Wiggle are doing it probably wouldn't be much difference between new rims and complete new wheels.

I was going to suggest Planet X model B's, but looking at their website it looks like they mustn't sell them anymore.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
give the rims a wash with some hot soapy water and then inserted the koolstop salmons....whoa...all that screeching has stopped nice and quiet with tons of stopping power. I reckon there's a least 1000 miles left in those rims...will give a good burn up tomorrow on my morning commute and see what I think
Magic eh? :becool:

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Magic eh? :becool:
i could not believe how a set of brakes could run so smoothly compared with the previous screeching pair....I reckon I'm converted to koolstop salmons....I like the idea that you can buy a koolstop in black/salmon...presumably for those who cannot make their mind up or more probably the salmons wear out quickly....I think I will give these a go next time

Citius

Unless you spend a lot of time off road riding through mud, sand, etc, then just go for the standard 'non CX' versions of those wheels. Apart from some minor differences to the bearing seals, they are identical. And cheaper.

byegad

Legendary Member
A single winter's commute on my Thorn Club Tour saw my rims wear below the wear markers. New wheels OEM were much cheaper than new rims and a rebuild.

Fab Foodie

i could not believe how a set of brakes could run so smoothly compared with the previous screeching pair....I reckon I'm converted to koolstop salmons....I like the idea that you can buy a koolstop in black/salmon...presumably for those who cannot make their mind up or more probably the salmons wear out quickly....I think I will give these a go next time
The blacks are not as good as the Salmon. BUT, I run Black on the rear and Salmon on the front. In that way I can grab equal amounts of brake lever with less fear of locking the rear. I wouldn't bother with blacks on the front.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
The blacks are not as good as the Salmon. BUT, I run Black on the rear and Salmon on the front. In that way I can grab equal amounts of brake lever with less fear of locking the rear. I wouldn't bother with blacks on the front.
I presume it is normal to wear the brakes at the back out quicker than the front (when I changed the old pads at the weekend the rear brakes were quite worn whereas the front still had some wear) and if this is so it would make good sense to (on my next change) to put as you say salmon on the front and blacks on the back. I certainly noticed a great change in braking quality this morning in somewhat cold frosty and foggy conditions.

Fab Foodie

I presume it is normal to wear the brakes at the back out quicker than the front (when I changed the old pads at the weekend the rear brakes were quite worn whereas the front still had some wear) and if this is so it would make good sense to (on my next change) to put as you say salmon on the front and blacks on the back. I certainly noticed a great change in braking quality this morning in somewhat cold frosty and foggy conditions.
No, it should be the other way around.
The front brake should be used for nearly all the braking as it is far more effective than the rear, so fronts generally wear faster than rears. If this is not the case than you're not braking optimally UNLESS you cycle mostly on slippy non-tarmac surfaces.
On the road, there's almost no need for a rear-brake at all.
http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Motorbikes are the same, on the front, two huge discs, on the rear one piffling little disc.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
No, it should be the other way around.
The front brake should be used for nearly all the braking as it is far more effective than the rear, so fronts generally wear faster than rears. If this is not the case than you're not braking optimally UNLESS you cycle mostly on slippy non-tarmac surfaces.
On the road, there's almost no need for a rear-brake at all.
http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Motorbikes are the same, on the front, two huge discs, on the rear one piffling little disc.
thanks for that fab foobie....you're never too old to learn...no wonder my rear bike brakes have always worn out quicker...I've learnt something new tonight and will put to good practice tomorrow morning...and on my next change I will put some blacks on the back as you suggest

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Unless you spend a lot of time off road riding through mud, sand, etc, then just go for the standard 'non CX' versions of those wheels. Apart from some minor differences to the bearing seals, they are identical. And cheaper.
which would be these ones
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-khamsin-asymmetric-g3-wheelset/
my LBS said these were ok but recommended the more expensive...however I do appreciate your advice and will prob go for the cheaper ones and prolong their life by regular koolstop brake changes...

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
how complicated can it be to install new wheels? My local bike shop implied that I should get the wheels through his outlet because they are quite compliecated/fussy to set up...I thought all I had to do was take the old wheels off transfer over the inner tubes/tyres and put back on .....am I being naive do I really need a professionl to install a new wheel set?

Top Bottom