Do i really need new wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Well you need to move the cassette over as well (unless you are fitting new), but no it shouldn't be 'tricky to set up'.

Ask them what they think is tricky with them, I mean you need to know what to look out for on the road if you have to remove them at any point ;)

Citius

Tyres on, cassette on, insert wheels into frame - and ride.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
yes on asking again the shop have made a big issue of alligning wheels.....I love my LBS they are always happy to carry out little repairs free for me but I must admit I cannot see why I need them involved in this...get wheels...pop on...go ride....simple or what:smile:

adamhearn

Veteran
Because factory built wheels are built to a cost and can turn up with some minor adjustment necessary. I'm not suggesting they'll be egg or pringle shaped of course!

If you're buying the wheels from them i would expect them to do this, for free too.
When i bought my new wheels i also got 10% worth of free goods, basically a new cassette and chain, because they do the same for bikes costing that much.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
If you're buying the wheels from them i would expect them to do this, for free too.
When i bought my new wheels i also got 10% worth of free goods, basically a new cassette and chain, because they do the same for bikes costing that much.
yes they would do all necessary adjustments free

bikeman66

I have had a rim failure, on one of my old mountain bikes, and it's not something I would necessarily choose to experience again. The sidewall of the rim had been worn so thin that the pressure of the tyre (combined with a particularly gnarly and rocky descent just peeled it away from the rest of the rim. Can't say the 11 mile walk home in cycling shoes was great fun!

Obviously, it is possible to spend ridiculous amounts on new wheelsets, but Wiggle have got some great deals on lower end wheels right now.

7,000 miles from a rim sounds fair to me, and it certainly doesn't owe you anything after that kind of service. Personally, I think I would find a pair of wheels at a good deal and be satisfied that the rims and hubs we're going to be good for another few thousand miles. Peace of mind, and for sure, if your current rim does fail, you can bet it will be miles from home on the wettest day of the year!

I got away with it pretty cheaply (apart from the long walk), but there is also the danger aspect if the failure is catastrophic.

Top Bottom