Do I want a MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilko

Veteran
I have a Marin Palisades Trail that's about 15 years old and I think it's about time I replaced it with something a bit more up to date. I'm 60 years old and looking for something with reasonable off road capabilities, so that I can use it on towpaths, tracks etc as well as on the road. I've seen good reports about the Halfords bikes, Carrera Kraken and Voodoo Hoodoo. My budget is around £500. Would these bikes suit, any other recommendations would be helpful.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why replace it? If you are at all competent as a cycle mechanic you can upgrade to a far better bike by buying a new, modern groupset and wheels. If you like the bike then this could be the way to go and if you don't fancy doing the work yourself then talk to a bike shop and see what it might cost for them to supply and fit the bits you want (this will inevitably cost more as you will be paying labour and a higher price for the bits than internet sourced gear).

My MTB is 20 next year but I have no thoughts of retiring it and this summer will probably undertake a full-on update, it still kicks ass out on the trails!

Star Strider

The question is - is the Marin disc compatible. While you can get a dic converter to fit rack eyes and you could always fit a rigid disc fork it bumps up the refurb price if you want to go down the disc route and you will stuggle to find a short travel sus fork if that is what you plan on.

I would be tempted to go for an entire new bike and retask the Marin as a rigid commuter, or keep the Marin as close as possible to it's original format with NOS and ebay parts rather than trying to make it into something it is not.

Having the choice between a rigid hardatail you can rack up and a modern hardtail with more front end bounce and better braking would give you a very flexable stable. You are looking at two very different generations of bikes that do different things.

What do you mean by tracks?

I think the Palisades is a similar bike to my Bear Valley which is the same age. They tended to a low slung front end and a quite stretched position, modern bikes will have a more upright position but probably similar geometry, the Marins were all well sorted and capable, still are.

In terms of capability it will be fine for towpaths and bridleways and even some built trails, I still use mine for that.

Like you though I hanker for a modern bike but for 500 quid the big compromise will be suspension. I'd seriously consider 2nd hand. Some good bargains come up on here if you're prepared to wait but the two you mentioned do get good reviews

OP
OP
wilko

wilko

Veteran

The question is - is the Marin disc compatible. While you can get a dic converter to fit rack eyes and you could always fit a rigid disc fork it bumps up the refurb price if you want to go down the disc route and you will stuggle to find a short travel sus fork if that is what you plan on.

I would be tempted to go for an entire new bike and retask the Marin as a rigid commuter, or keep the Marin as close as possible to it's original format with NOS and ebay parts rather than trying to make it into something it is not.

Having the choice between a rigid hardatail you can rack up and a modern hardtail with more front end bounce and better braking would give you a very flexable stable. You are looking at two very different generations of bikes that do different things.

Your not seriously suggesting he should try using NOS on a bicycle lol!

To OP, its good to see people your age still getting out and about on 2 wheels. Sure as hell beats the bus dont it:girldance:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hmmm that does look very good, but I can get this for less money!! http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_810647_langId_-1_categoryId_165499 food for thought
Both bikes will do all you want, but given the choice it would be the rockrider every time
it has far better components at every level, and weighs a full kilo less. That males a helluva difference. You don't need 120mm forks for what you describe, but the rockshox on the rockrider will outperform the suntour in most aspects, esp damping. If you can affords the extra itw worth every penny.

OP
OP
wilko

wilko

Veteran
Both bikes will do all you want, but given the choice it would be the rockrider every time
it has far better components at every level, and weighs a full kilo less. That males a helluva difference. You don't need 120mm forks for what you describe, but the rockshox on the rockrider will outperform the suntour in most aspects, esp damping. If you can affords the extra itw worth every penny.
Just that small matter of an extra £120!! Is the Rockrider that much better?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My 1st 'decent' bike was a Hardrock.. 3000 tracked miles on it and every one brought a smile to my face!!

Venod

Eh up
If I was buying I would go for the Decathalon Rockrider, for the money the spec is fantastic the Rockshock Forks are a league above the Suntour, the Sram gear system is spot on the chain set is ok and the Avid Brakes good, most bikes with this spec will cost you a good £200 pound more.

Top Bottom