Do I want a MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wilko

wilko

Veteran
Well, I certainly don't know what I'm doing!! Put my Marin in for a service today, it seems it's not in bad shape at all considering it's been neglected for about 10 years or so. Even the chain, which is original, is not too shabby. However I did look at a Spesh Hardrock Sport Disc that they had in stock. Loved it!! Seriously thinking of shelling out for that!.

Star Strider

Why the Spesh over the Decathlon?

To be blunt the fork on the Spesh is a bit pants and will top out, the Spesh own brand hubs are a bit shonky and the chainset is a pinned together made of cheese job.

OP
OP
wilko

wilko

Veteran
Why the Spesh over the Decathlon?

To be blunt the fork on the Spesh is a bit pants and will top out, the Spesh own brand hubs are a bit shonky and the chainset is a pinned together made of cheese job.

Ok. I understand that the Decathlon is a top piece of kit, but I'm going with the Spesh because I'm buying from my lbs and I have a long standing relationship with them, as opposed to buying blind from the internet. I know if anything went wrong, they would sort it for me. I have seen and ridden the Spesh, it's a 29er which I like and it suits me. If I get to the stage where the Spesh can't cope with what I'm doing, which I doubt, I will think again.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You could always go into Decathlon and look.

And yes the Spesh is much lower Spec, just for the benefit of Mr Collins.
But that dear Star Strider is not what you said. Even if it was well it's like this you see, something may be of a lower spec than another thing and yet still be perfectly capable of performing its role more than adequately no? Else we'd all have to ride XTR, or equivalent, spec'd bikes surely)

To describe Spesh hubs as shonky, whatever that means, and the chainset as made of cheese is simply to invite ridicule. The Hardrock Sport Disc has a chainset which is bolted together as per usual.

Star Strider

But that dear Star Strider is not what you said. Even if it was well it's like this you see, something may be of a lower spec than another thing and yet still be perfectly capable of performing its role more than adequately no? Else we'd all have to ride XTR, or equivalent, spec'd bikes surely)

To describe Spesh hubs as shonky, whatever that means, and the chainset as made of cheese is simply to invite ridicule. The Hardrock Sport Disc has a chainset which is bolted together as per usual.
My mate has a 29er with the same fork, it tops out.

Pinned together chansets never last well and Spesh generic freehubs are problematic.

I would not drop £500 on an 8 speed bike that's going to need an upgrade in the first year, there are better buys.

Cubist

Still wavin'
But the OP has already said why he likes the Spesh. I don't know what sort of riding you do, and its very likely that you would need to upgrade to keep up with your riding, but the OP has told us he is in his sixties and wants to ride towpaths and the odd bridleway. The spesh'll do that for and with him, and he has the benefit of a familiar lbs behind him. I wouldn't choose the bike for my purposes, by thank god for diversity.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Does your mate's XCR fork top out on towpaths by the way?

Top Bottom