Do I want a MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Just that small matter of an extra £120!! Is the Rockrider that much better?
Yes, without doubt. Many bikes at this price point have heavy, square taper style cranksets, whereas the Rockrider has a Deore Hollowtech. Much easier to maintain and set up.

The fork is the next big deal maker for me. Rockshox Sektor forks are to be found on £600-800 bikes. They are a supple coil sprung fork with rebound damping. The Suntour fork on the Halfords bike is competent at best, but reviews suggest it isn't anywhere near as adjustable as it makes out, and you'd have to work very hard to get anything like the full range of travel from it.

Drivetrain on the Rockrider is a league above that on the Carrera. SRAM X7 is to be found on mid-level bikes, and again, is slicker and lighter than the very basic stuff on the Carrera.

Brakes, well, both are basic, and I'm not an Avid fan, but set up well the Avids on the Rockrider will stop you competently. Nothing wrong with the Clarks on the Carrera.

Wheels, probably not much to choose from, and finishing kit on both is own brand basic but competent stuff, but the Rockrider comes with clipless pedals, a nice touch.

OP
OP
wilko

wilko

Veteran
Ok, you've convinced me that the Decathlon Rockrider is the best bang for buck, however is there such a thing as being over spec'd? One thing that has been overlooked I feel, is my total incompetence and I'm thinking I would never do this bike justice! Pootling along towpaths and maybe forest tracks etc I don't think will push this bike's capabilities. Does this matter?

lukesdad

Oi Cubist ^_^ There is nothing wrong with square drive cranksets, the BBs are bullet proof,and my Middleburn is a work of art ! Plus ive just picked up a nice Coda for 99p of the 'Bay' including chainrings. :biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Oi Cubist ^_^ There is nothing wrong with square drive cranksets, the BBs are bullet proof,and my Middleburn is a work of art ! Plus ive just picked up a nice Coda for 99p of the 'Bay' including chainrings. :biggrin:
I think we can all concede that Middleburn and Alivio/Acera are worlds apart! I have come to the conclusion that outboard BB vulnerability simply means that you get aftermarket and treat the bearings as annual consumables. :biggrin:

99p? Where's my jealous smiley when you want one?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ok, you've convinced me that the Decathlon Rockrider is the best bang for buck, however is there such a thing as being over spec'd? One thing that has been overlooked I feel, is my total incompetence and I'm thinking I would never do this bike justice! Pootling along towpaths and maybe forest tracks etc I don't think will push this bike's capabilities. Does this matter?
No. It simply means you won't have to put up with overweight components. The bike will do all you ask of it, and you never know, you may well be tempted into some more adventurous routes, and with the Rockrider you'll never be hampered. As for doing the bike justice, were you to be contemplating a £4,000 carbon 8 inch travel behemoth, we may have had to talk you round. As it is, you are getting excellent bang for your buck right at entry level money.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
tbh i don't think tow paths and fire roads will push your existing bikes capabilities either. you don't need a new mtb for that type of riding. the question is how much do you want one.

the man has an itch and i'm not gonna say don't scratch it.

OP
OP
wilko

wilko

Veteran
tbh i don't think tow paths and fire roads will push your existing bikes capabilities either. you don't need a new mtb for that type of riding. the question is how much do you want one.

This makes sense and although I would love to have a new mbt my existing Marin will probably do the job. So.I'm going to take it in to my LBS, have it serviced and have a chat with them about what might need to be upgraded and how much it would cost. If it turns out to be expensive, I will probably just go and scratch my itch and shell out for a new bike. Thanks all for your input it's certainly given me food for thought.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This makes sense and although I would love to have a new mbt my existing Marin will probably do the job. So.I'm going to take it in to my LBS, have it serviced and have a chat with them about what might need to be upgraded and how much it would cost. If it turns out to be expensive, I will probably just go and scratch my itch and shell out for a new bike. Thanks all for your input it's certainly given me food for thought.
Please. PLEASE. Don't put new modern parts on an otherwise original 90's mtb. Sell it to a retrobiker. Like me. (except I only buy old Kona's) So someone on www.retrobike.co.uk

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Just found my original receipt for the bike and it's not quite as old as I thought. The sale is dated 12/05/01, so it's actually 13 years old!!
oh it's a noughties model. a piece of junk. sling it in a skip and buy a new bike. (joking)

Top Bottom