Do Not Overtake Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There's a couple on a road here where there are a few traffic islands, strange really as there's also a cycle path (the side you can't see on the picture) on the pavement but better safe than sorry.
View attachment 722118

I'm conflicted by this one. Whilst it is nice to see at least some concession towards cyclists with road markings, at the point they start I would be considering a move towards the centre of the lane, to physically prevent anybody trying to get alongside or past at the traffic island (with an additional benefit of increasing my visibility to the car pulling out from the left). By painting the cycle lane they have implied that the cyclist should remain towards the left - if I were to cycle outwith this lane then drivers may take umbrage that I am ignoring the provided cycle infrastructure. If I stay within the lane there is enough space for an impatient, entitled or otherwise ignorant driver to squeeze past (or at least try). The red sign is information about a hazard, it is not instructional nor mandatory.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
By painting the cycle lane they have implied that the cyclist should remain towards the left - if I were to cycle outwith this lane then drivers may take umbrage that I am ignoring the provided cycle infrastructure. If I stay within the lane there is enough space for an impatient, entitled or otherwise ignorant driver to squeeze past (or at least try).

That's the problem with cycle lanes, sign or no sign.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hmmm .. wonder if the bods associated with the Hubble telescope would agree ?

The bods that allowed it to be launched with a massive defect that rendered it unusable and necessitated a fortune be spent on a shuttle mission to modify it?

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
That's the problem with *some* cycle lanes. Of course others are beset with different problems. Some are actually "good".

The problem with all cycle lanes is that a white line creates two territories defended by two tribes who each think they're entitled to go right up to their side of the line. That's why passing distances are closer with lanes than without:

1708519192998.jpeg

The other problem with cycle lanes (and cycle paths as well) is that they increase the scope for collision by making different flows of traffic cross each others path at junctions.

The other problem with cycle lanes (and cycle paths as well) is that they increase the scope for collision by making different flows of traffic cross each others path at junctions.

This is why they tend to be painted red here, and drivers know if they hit a cyclist they will be considered at fault unless said cyclist was doing something really silly. It makes them much more cautious which in turn reduces accidents. This suggests that this isn't as much an infrastructure problem as a driver problem.

Last edited:
The problem with all cycle lanes is that a white line creates two territories defended by two tribes who each think they're entitled to go right up to their side of the line. That's why passing distances are closer with lanes than without:

Painted cycle lanes make two territories with two tribes, one of whom still thinks they have the right to use both for driving and parking, but also that the cyclists no longer have the right to use 'their' much larger lane, even when the cycle lane is blocked...

There used to be a "No Overtaking" sign on the old Menai Bridge - the suspensions one
Underneath it was an exception - "Except Cycles by Cycles"

so presumably cars were not allowed ot over take bike - which is reasonable given the narrow lanes

I have just checked and I can;t see them on StreetView anymore

icowden

Veteran

And also that they tend to be a box ticking exercise whilst being cheap - hence they are often far too narrow to be useful or safe.

And also that they tend to be a box ticking exercise whilst being cheap - hence they are often far too narrow to be useful or safe.

I have to say that the ones round here are - mostly - wide enough and have an effect

This is because they are put on roads that are wide enough for the cars to still ahve loads of width to stay outside the cycle lane
On one road there is even a wide gap between the kerb and the left side of the cycle lane

I did have to go to a nearby town today - where my wife used to live.
I used a normal cut through along a country road that has been upgraded and resurfaced and is now a 30 mph limit
I occurred to me that, due to the bends, it is actually impossible for a car to pass a bike safely at any point for about a mile or two
There is a place along that part where, on the rare occasions that I used this route, I generally stop to let any cars past - but I have had to follow cyclists along this bit several time
I can;t see your stereotypical Daily Fail letters page contributor doing this!!!

Top Bottom