Do or did your kids/grand kids believe in Father christmas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As an official old fart I don't think I ever believed in 'him' as being real.
Never taught my kids he was real.

Just wondering about other's views.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We've always been honest with our two in that Father Christmas isn't real. It's not caused any issues, even when I was Father Christmas in the local school fair.

However ...my eldest, who's on the autistic spectrum, caused his new classmates to cry when asked by the teacher on his first day in school what Santa had brought him. His reply: "Santa's not real" and tears flowed from the 4 and 5 year-olds.

As an aside my dad was Father Christmas in the local villages; white hair and beard, etc. all natural. Sometimes the children checked to see if the beard was real when he was doing Christmas events :laugh:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I believed in Santa and my kids did. I vividly recall the year the eldest started to express doubt about Father Christmas. His mother wanting to extend the belief for one more year replied "That's up to you if you want to take the chance and stop believing in Father Christmas." He believed for one more year! :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
We spend 1 months of the year telling kids not to go near strange old men who are offering them presents then a month telling them one is going to break into their house one night and come into their room :wacko:
I think my kids believed up until about 8 or 9, but kept quiet for a few years after in case the loot dried up. My 11 year old still writes a letter to Santa and leaves out carrot and a mince pie, as a family we love the traditions and still snuggle up to read ’the night before Christmas’ just before bed time on Christmas Eve.

PK99

Legendary Member
It is actually a useful fiction. Better than telling a 4 or 5-year-old "No we will not buy you XYZ expensive toy at Xmas!"

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes, a very long time ago when I was very young, our kids did when they were young, our Granddaughters 9 and believes in Santa.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’ve met him, definitely real.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I. am sure I believed, when a child, but, it is too long ago to be sure ;)

My children believed, as far as I know, probably began to doubt around age 8, from memory.

We have seven grandchildren, all but. three are beyond the age of believing, but, I think 6 of the 7 believed.

Personally, I don't see what harm it does, and, I certainly can think of no reason why any "non-believers" should force their opinions on others by expressing a contrary view in public. If they wish not to believe, so be it, but, allow others their own fantasies.

Last edited:
We've always been honest with our two in that Father Christmas isn't real. It's not caused any issues, even when I was Father Christmas in the local school fair.

However ...my eldest, who's on the autistic spectrum, caused his new classmates to cry when asked by the teacher on his first day in school what Santa had brought him. His reply: "Santa's not real" and tears flowed from the 4 and 5 year-olds.
Kids talk and whilst in your house santa is just a Christmas character as real as say stickman or the snowman. There's always the risk how you treat it with your kids upset and affect kids in other families. Not really your problem but it is important to others to keep the pretense up.

BTW I don't mean to sound like I'm telling you off, I'm not thinking that way. I'm just pointing out that it's a potentially delicate situation. I've noticed that belief has stopped in classes not long after one kid starts to say it's made up, often because a big brother or sister told him.

Our son went along with it but I'm pretty sure he saw through it all. Precocious at times like when he told his grandad he was driving in the wrong direction at something like 2 or so years having only been to the intended destination once. He was right. It's that part of him that questions things and uses logic. I think he didn't think the present giving could be done in one night so it isn't real. If that's not real then it's santa real? I think that was always his way.

However we all kept your pretence going for a few years, including him too. He also didn't say anything about his views on santa to any kids at nursery or primary school. I liked that as kids need a bit of santa joy I think and also to learn the truth in their own time. My nephew believed long after his 2 year younger sister had stopped. I was the same but took great delight in telling my older sister he wasn't real. She still believed for a further 2 years, possibly still does at 50!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Kids talk and whilst in your house santa is just a Christmas character as real as say stickman or the snowman. There's always the risk how you treat it with your kids upset and affect kids in other families. Not really your problem but it is important to others to keep the pretense up.

BTW I don't mean to sound like I'm telling you off, I'm not thinking that way. I'm just pointing out that it's a potentially delicate situation. I've noticed that belief has stopped in classes not long after one kid starts to say it's made up, often because a big brother or sister told him.

This was something we discussed as parents, and chose not to take this approach for our children. However ... we did tell them others might believe this. And my parents would talk about Father Christmas.

My now 17yo was fine, and aware that most in his class would believe it. My eldest, being autistic, just says what he thinks without knowing the consequences.

As an official old fart I don't think I ever believed in 'him' as being real.
Never taught my kids he was real.

Just wondering about other's views.
is this really the case?
You never ever believed?
I find this kind of/very odd to tell the truth - unless you had very particular parents.
It strikes me as kinda like bursting out of the womb and already knowing about sex/where you'd come from.
Some sort of devil spooky child.

Top Bottom