Do or did your kids/grand kids believe in Father christmas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My youngest grandchild (5) is Downs Syndrome. She believes totally at present... and, is delightful... I often ponder how long it will be before some smartarse bursts her bubble ;)

There are some really heart warming clips of Katie Price when Harvey gets phone calls from Santa. Whatever peoples opinions of her are, there's no denying her love for her son.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I find that a strange way to look at it if I may be honest. Do you therefore believe that children that were brought up with a belief in Santa will then go on to develop a mistrust of their parents based on that?

Most parents tell half truths and legends at various stages of a child's development, to simplify and even enrich life for a younger mind, and of course later you talk about it in a more mature way when that young mind is better equipped to deal with the facts of life. I think most people agree that this didn't damage them or lead them to believe that their parents were liars, and not to be trusted.

How far do you take your maxim of "telling stories"? Were the "facts of life" explained in graphic detail to you by your parents at a very young age? Were you brutally honest about these things to your children? Or did you "lie" about it to some extent at least to wait for a better time in their development?

Not a criticism of you by the way, I'm genuinely just interested in this thought process.
I did not say that other parents' choices will have harmed their children, just that I appreciate my parents' honesty.

I also said nothing about "brutal honesty". We tried to give straightforward, honest and age-appropriate answers to our children's questions. Doesn't seem to have done them any harm 😉

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We were told that Santa delivered 1 present only, and that parents sent the present to Santa for delivery. We were under no illusions that the present arrived for free. Described as some sort of Christmas parcel post service.
There was no mention of flying reindeer, magical spy elves, North Pole workshop with an enslaved workforce etc. Just this St Nick chappy delivering the present supplied by parents.

Kids when very young can be mischievous but they are not skeptical. Father Christmas is positive fiction. I find it hard to believe that a young kid when they first became aware of Father Christmas had doubts.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was a true believer. Our daughter believed too. We used to do stuff like leaving coal dust footprints by the fireplace, and scatter chewed up carrots on the floor so we could complain "Look at the shocking mess the reindeer made!". Good fun.

DRM

Guru
For our two, I think they respectively were in year 6 when it dawned on them, but whilst they believed it was hilarious hearing them sneak down stairs saying shush, and has he been in a loud whisper, trying to wake us up, but not too blatantly, it’s not the same now their grown up.

Ah, but Sinterklaas is real. :smile:

But he rides a horse and has a manservant called Zwarte Piet, and you have to put a clog out with a carrot for the horse. :blush: (I still do - tradition, you know...)

But Saint Nicholas really did exist - he was Bishop of Antioch in the early days of Christianity, and would leave food parcels outside the front door of needy households. His feast day is the 6th December.

But Saint Nicholas really did exist - he was Bishop of Antioch in the early days of Christianity, and would leave food parcels outside the front door of needy households. His feast day is the 6th December.
The remains of Saint Nicholas/father christmas were, as you probably know, nicked by the Italians in what I seem to remember was a particularly gruesome operation. He's now in Bari. Must admit I have pointed this out to a few Italians with a particular relish since they are somewhat fond of claiming big dastardly foreigners nicked so much of their stuff. Stealing santa takes the biscuit I think.

Top Bottom