Do road racers really get that many punctures??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I've been dipping in and out of the mens and womens road races over the last couple of days. Its the 1st time i've watched this sport on tv and was curious as to wether the number of punctures that were picked up, particularly in the womens race, were representative of road racing or wether it was unusual for that many riders to have these problems. I am a leisure cyclist and tend to use Schwalbe Marathons which virtually put an end to punctures, I'm amazed that the professionals are not supplied with tyres that are similarly protected.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The extra weight in the tyre would make them non competitive at that level.Also with the team mechanics able to change the wheel in about 3 seconds flat unless a puncture occurs at a crirtical point it need not be disasterous.

What I dont understand is ordinary cyclists on sportives or club rides that really arent critical riding on flimsy tyres. One puncture will wipe out any tiny gains you might have achieved .

I use Bontrager Racelights and Krylion Carbons, both are reasonably fast rolling but with some puncture protection which makes visits from the fairy infrequent.

Pauluk

I would think they have the best tyes for the job they are doing (speed, endurance, reliability) and that money can buy. I would also think that in a race like that at those sort of distances and speeds their wheels and tyres are punished a wee bit more than the average.

Norm

Wet weather always leads to many more punctures, stones are washed into the road, grit sticks to wet tyres more than dry tyres and water lubricates the sharps through the rubber.

That aside their tyres are aimed more towards speed than protection and, as Banjo says, that's not generally a huge issue unless it's in the last 10%-15% of the race.

you are more likely to puncture in the wet, that's true. Racing cyclists tend not to use Schwalbe Marathons for the same reason that Formula 1 teams tend not to use BF Goodrich T/As...

Reactions: gaz

sabian92

Über Member
What if they brought in a rule that ALL riders had to use them though? Nobody would be disadvantaged then.

Not that i'm saying it's a good idea just throwing it out there.

What if they brought in a rule that ALL riders had to use them though? Nobody would be disadvantaged then.

what would be achieved by having a rule like that..?

"new rule - you are required to use a heavy, cumbersome tyre, entirely unsuited to the purpose you are putting it to.." ;)

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
When you've ridden on a lovely light bike, with good racing tyres on a super-smooth road, you know why they're worth it.

Actually, even riding round the roads of Devon on Conti GP4000s (a decent light racing tyre) I can go a couple of thousand miles without a puncture, though I'll tend to use Bontrager Race Lite Hardcases for the winter.

sabian92

Über Member

"new rule - you are required to use a heavy, cumbersome tyre, entirely unsuited to the purpose you are putting it to.." ;)

I didn't say it was a good idea ;)

I don't know, just throwing it out there. I know bugger all about road racing anyway. More of an F1 fan for racing. :biggrin:

I think they should also have to carry a small pannier rack and rack pack and have to sort their own punctures/mechanicals en route. No physical team assistance once the race has started (although maybe they could stand and cheer/offer advice from the side).

Imagine the weight loss spin offs for us mere mortals as the grams are shaved from kit! :hyper:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Marathons on a road bike - it's like an extra wheel in weight.

TBH do about 5k miles on a road bike each year and maybe get one or two deflations, and I don't use puncture resistant tyres as I hate the feel of them. Michelin Lithion 2's for commuting - cheap and light, and Michelin Pro Race for weekends - bit expensive and lighter.

The pro's are riding top end tubs usually, and TBH punctures aren't that common - you've got 200 riders in a field !

lulubel

Über Member
I think I heard comments on the BBC commentary about the "unusual" number of punctures in the women's race, and that "perhaps they weren't prepared for the conditions" (or something like that).

Question for those who race: do you use the same tyres for races regardless of the conditions, or do you make your tyre choice dependent on the kind of road surface/what the weather is doing?

Question for those who race: do you use the same tyres for races regardless of the conditions, or do you make your tyre choice dependent on the kind of road surface/what the weather is doing?

speaking personally - I have two 'racing' wheel sets, a pair of PX 50mm full carbon tubs with Conti Competition tubulars, and a pair of DA C24s with Conti GP4000S clinchers. I use the PX wheels for dry races and the DAs for wet races - not because of the risk of punctures, but because I prefer an ally brake track in the wet. I much prefer riding the PXs though...

sabian92

Über Member
Marathons on a road bike - it's like an extra wheel in weight.

TBH do about 5k miles on a road bike each year and maybe get one or two deflations, and I don't use puncture resistant tyres as I hate the feel of them. Michelin Lithion 2's for commuting - cheap and light, and Michelin Pro Race for weekends - bit expensive and lighter.

The pro's are riding top end tubs usually, and TBH punctures aren't that common - you've got 200 riders in a field !

I use Marathon Pluses on a road bike. Saves me having to carry spare tubes and a pump (honestly, too poor to afford them :biggrin:)

Call it resistance training. :laugh:

Top Bottom