Do road racers really get that many punctures??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
I like it though because I can't be bothered changing a puncture on a narrow path with 60mph traffic whizzing past you. I don't mind the weight because I'm 16 stone anyway :laugh:

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
you are more likely to puncture in the wet, that's true. Racing cyclists tend not to use Schwalbe Marathons for the same reason that Formula 1 teams tend not to use BF Goodrich T/As...
Now thats an analogy I understand....I suppose I should have realized that it was a weight issue, if racers are prepared to spend money on carbon and titanium to save weight, then why would they stick, what to them would be a tractor tyre, on their rims. I've never weighed my bike but what sort of weight would a whole road race bike be at the sort of level used profesionally ? Anyone have any idea ?? Theres an idea for a new thread !

the UCI minimum weight limit is 15lbs, so most are built to weigh in there or thereabouts - although it's possible to build a bike well under that limit....

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I'm pleased that this has sparked a bit of comment, its always interesting to get an insight into areas not normally familiar with. I am looking forward to weighing my beast in the morning, just as a comparison, and to understand a bit more about the difference between leisure and road racers. As a small aside, it wasnt that long ago I sent off a pair of Marathons in the post (700 X 38) and I seem to remember that they were around 3kg (7lb) with the tubes. Can see why they aint popular with the profesionals :eek:

there's probably not as much difference between leisure and 'road racers' as you might think. We all ride bikes at the end of the day. To me at least, racing and training is 'leisure cycling'...although I would draw the line at Schwalbe marathons.....

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
the UCI minimum weight limit is 15lbs, so most are built to weigh in there or thereabouts - although it's possible to build a bike well under that limit....

It's not just the overall weight that matters, how it's distributed is also significant - if speed is your aim, you want your wheels to be as light as possible, especially the rim and tyre. This, AIUI, is the principle advantage of tubulars - they're much lighter than clinchers.

Bizarrely, Tony Martin has switched from tubulars to clinchers this year and at the Tour de France, suffered punctures twice at crucial times (in the prologue and the second time trial). It will be interesting to see what he uses in tomorrow's Olympic time trial.

Personally, since I don't race, I'm going to save more time by not having to stop to repair punctures than by riding faster, so I use Durano Plus on my road bike - they're pretty heavy compared to racing tyres but on the other hand, my first puncture in the current set came last week after more than 5000km on those tyres.

d.

This, AIUI, is the principle advantage of tubulars - they're much lighter than clinchers.

Well, yes and no. Weight saving is nice, but it's a by-product really. The main advantages come from things like better handling and rolling resistance due to the tyre's (tubular) profile and construction. They will also 'run flat' far more reliably than clinchers...

I remember reading that Martin's punctures had been investigated by Conti and it was established that whatever it was that he ran over, would have punctured pretty much any tyre of any type...

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Interesting to compare the weights of various tyres -
Marathon Plus 590gm
Gatorskins (folding) 250gm
GP4000s 230gm
- all above 25c, manufacturers figures

23c folding Gatorskins are lighter at 220gm, (and 23c GP4000s 205gm). So the Marathons are more than 21/2 times heavier than the 23c Gatorskins I use. I find the Gatorskins pretty tough and a good compromise - almost 12 months on 2 bikes with no 'problems' at all, winter and summer on all sorts of surfaces. So tougher tyres don't have to be heavyweights.

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Following on from last nights bit of discussion regarding bike weight.....I have just weighed my leisure beast and found that its bang on 14kg. I think that means that when I am riding , I am carrying an extra bike on my back compared to these road race guys. Not much of a wonder that I cant hold a candle to the average, or is it adverage ??? speed that these guys pump along at. Considering that my weight includes a suspension seat post, suspension front forks, tool kit, side stand,bell,computer and spare tubes, I'm very pleased with that figure. Trouble is that its now gonna niggle away at me :headshake: as to how much all these extras add to the bottom weight that I could reduce my beast down to. Something to look at on a wet weekend over the winter I think. :scratch:

potsy

Rambler
Call it 'cycling' a TANK :tongue: There should be a law against those tyres IMHO. :evil:
One day you will see the light :angel:
I took my M+ off a while ago but am thinking about putting 'em back on the CX commuter, full guards, rack and panier, won't be breaking any records but hey, I wouldn't be on a carbon dream machine either :tongue:

lulubel

Über Member
Interesting to compare the weights of various tyres -
Marathon Plus 590gm
Gatorskins (folding) 250gm
GP4000s 230gm
- all above 25c, manufacturers figures

That is interesting. My 25c Rubino Pros are 240g (also manufacturer's figure), so they fall in between the GP4000s and the Gatorskins. Considering they handled commuting on country lanes, in the dark, through a Cornish winter, without a single puncture, I would have expected them to be heavier than that. That suggests to me that Marathon Pluses add a lot of unnecessary weight in the name of puncture protection.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I run Gatorskins (23c folding) on my fixed, just because changing a flat is a bit more work (spanner and then retention the chain vs QR) and they are good tyres, never had a puncture since I started using them and they are reasonably light and grippy. In the wet, they do seem to feel a bit greasy though and can be a bit slippy.

Top Bottom