Do some people just walk with bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We always cycle to school in the morning, but coming home we generally walk half way pushing our bikes and chatting to friends. Then we get back on our bikes to cycle the last wee bit home.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
There's an old guy around my way who looks about on his last legs and has done for years who has a shopper bike which he mostly uses to push around as a sort of ad-hoc walking frame. It seems to give him some support when walking and has got a basket which he puts his shopping in. Or his hernia.

I have often wondered why people do this as I often slow as I see them to see if they have a flat or need some help.
Never crossed my mind that hey may be just being cautious in a v- busy area.

Hebe

getting better all the time
I used to walk across a nasty junction where the shared path dropped you in the wrong place to ride it safely, it's since had a toucan crossing installed and the bike paths improved. There are a couple of right turns that I walk too - one because of busy traffic and a convenient crossing, and one because the road surface and visibility make it a bit unpleasant to do on the bike with the trailer. I've pushed the mountain bike home once when the chain came off and jammed, and I couldn't unjam it.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I've had to walk a bike a few miles myself. For instance last year when I went over and borked the damn thing. Sometimes if you're not going far, got time on your hands it is just nice to walk. Have a bit of an exploration and enjoy the weather, etc.

Jonathing

Über Member
There were a couple of older ladies in Portsmouth who used their bikes as shopping trolleys. I used to see them regularly pushing them around with several tonnes of shopping bags hung off them in various places.
At least I hope they only every pushed them, I can't imagine they were very stable loaded up like that.

snorri

Legendary Member
I've had to walk a bike a few miles myself. if you're not going far, got time on your hands it is just nice to walk. Have a bit of an exploration and enjoy the weather, etc.

So true.
On a nice :sun: day when all is well with the world and you are in a pleasant bit of the country, :bicycle: can be just too fast to appreciate your surroundings.:becool:

Terry Kay

Used to be a local guy who was always pushing a bike when I saw him.. Usually with the mrs and their little un in a pushchair..
He looked to be early 20's and couldn't have ridden it much.. He's taken to leaving it at home lately..

Top Bottom