Do some people just walk with bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PurplePoodle

Today I was down the high st getting a helmet and noticed a woman walking along with a bike with a helmet on. Thought nothing of it since she was on a busy pavment but 3 hours later I pass her while driving still walking with the bike and helmet on! She wasn't dressed for cycling and I found it a bit strange that she wasn't cycling even though the 2nd time is a lovely bit up here for cycling!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Puncture or some other sort of problem? There used to be an old guy around here who went about on a bike with no pedals! He just sat on it and pushed himself around. It was something to do with a physical disability he had, and he had trouble walking, so that arrangement made him more mobile.

tyred

Legendary Member
I vaguely remember an old guy locally who had been a polio victim and had serious leg problems as a result. He used to wheel an old lady's framed roadster around the roads, using it for support like a walking frame and then sitting "side saddle" coasting down hill. He was unable to ride it in the usual manner.

OP
OP
P

PurplePoodle

I don't think she had a puncture as it would take 30 mins not 3 hours to walk to this area! Maybe she was just enjoying the views of the campsies the 2nd time! Just found it strange to see the person twice.. I wouldn't have taken notice if it wasn't for the fact I had just bought the same helmet she was wearing :smile:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's a lass I see everyday who cycles past my house around the same time i head for work. At the top of 'my' road she gets off the bike and pushes it along the busy streets until she's at the cycle track (1/2 mile and a couple of junctions later). I guess she's just not comfortable with the traffic, so walks those stretches instead. Maybe your 'lady' has the same point of view?

OP
OP
P

PurplePoodle

Yep; it's a nice view! Was there the other day, did a loop from Glasgow central up to Strathblane then along to Kirkintilloch (along the disused railway path) then the canal route back to Glasgow.

I live just up from the railway path in Kirky if it's the one under the canal you are talking about. My plan is to get fit enough to cycle to Falkirk and back!

Brandane

Legendary Member
I live just up from the railway path in Kirky if it's the one under the canal you are talking about. My plan is to get fit enough to cycle to Falkirk and back!

You could always start with the Stables bar and back to begin with! Looks like a nice pub, but I resisted temptation and cycled past. Every table outside looked to be taken anyway. Good luck with the Falkirk aim, that is a nice ride as well. :smile:

OP
OP
P

PurplePoodle

You could always start with the Stables bar and back to begin with! Looks like a nice pub, but I resisted temptation and cycled past. Every table outside looked to be taken anyway. Good luck with the Falkirk aim, that is a nice ride as well. :smile:

I done that last year and managed it on my neighbours bike even though I was terrified as the breaks didn't work well! I drove past it today and it was packed.. Well known that if the sun is out The Stables will be mobbed with people. I've never been to the Falkirk Wheel so would like to cycle to it.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
There's a lass I see everyday who cycles past my house around the same time i head for work. At the top of 'my' road she gets off the bike and pushes it along the busy streets until she's at the cycle track (1/2 mile and a couple of junctions later). I guess she's just not comfortable with the traffic, so walks those stretches instead. Maybe your 'lady' has the same point of view?

Yeah, I take similar "bike walkies" in town, when:
need to cross a stretch where I know there is broken glass
need to cross a busy junction or a bit with lots of buses
need to visit a lot of shops and don't want to leave the bike too far behind :rolleyes:

endoman

I see a guy every morning at end of my road walking up with a mountain bike. It's not steep, I can easily do it in big ring, one day I will stop and ask him what's going on! He's hi vis'd up but I've never seen him on it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Today I was down the high st getting a helmet and noticed a woman walking along with a bike with a helmet on. Thought nothing of it since she was on a busy pavment but 3 hours later I pass her while driving still walking with the bike and helmet on! She wasn't dressed for cycling and I found it a bit strange that she wasn't cycling even though the 2nd time is a lovely bit up here for cycling!

Maybe it's push a bike day. I remember seeing at least 6 today. A couple were simply walking and chatting. 2 were having a fag. One was even pushing her bike downhill. No flat tyres evident. Maybe they enjoy it??!?!?

Oh, and I came across a chainring lying in the middle of the road - it couldn't have just fallen off, could it?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I did a 48 km ride along a motorway the other day and another "rider" had a frame on 4 wheels with a set of drop bars on the front. It was obvious that he was disabled and he walked and pushed this frame contraption. He was an elderly gent and I give him the thumbs up as I passed.

I have never seen anything like it but he was fair covering the ground. It did not look easy either but at least he is still carrying on cycling, of sorts.

Steve

Top Bottom