Do the conditions of your hamstrings affect your cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin - put those books on the bottom shelf read a page after every ride - bingo.
You have just reminded me what I was doing at my previous house. I had a pile of old copies of Cycling Weekly which I placed against a wall. I reduced the height of the pile until I could just reach down and place the palms of my hands on top, and feel a slight stretch in my hamstrings. I'd maintain that for about 30 seconds and feel the tension slowly disappear. I managed to get about 5 cm lower over a couple of weeks.

I put all the mags in the recycling when I moved and forgot to start again here.

Hang on, no time like the present ...

Aaaaaaaaaaargh!!! :laugh:

I needed a pile of magazines 35 cm high!

I soon remembered that doing this stretch really shows up the difference in the lengths of my legs. My L leg is significantly shorter than the R so I have to stand with my L foot elevated. Standing with that foot on a thick copy of Cycling Plus was perfect.

I have now set a stretch alarm on my phone. It will go off every 2 hours when I am at home to remind me to do the stretches. I am using a 35 second timer on the phone to time the stretch. It takes me about 5 seconds to settle down into it and then I'll hold it for 30 seconds.

I'll do this routine for a few weeks to establish the stretching habit and then start doing some more elaborate stretches.

Verdict ... I could feel how inflexible I am when doing the stretch but I am actually feeling better now that I am stretched out on the sofa. I'll try and keep this up. I have made a note in my diary to return to this thread at the start of April to tell you how I am getting on, and (to get fully back On Topic) - if it has made any difference to my cycling.

PS I just rediscovered a copy of 'Yoga for Cyclists' (by Lexie Williamson) in the Kindle app on my phone. I had forgotten that I bought it on the recommendation of my cousin who said that the postures really help him. It was available then for £3.99. The current version has had audio and video added but now costs £10.04!

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
That's a bit of a stretch Colin if you ask me

dbeattie

Über Member
You can't stretch a muscle. Muscles don't work like that. Even the stiffest people can be easily put in all sorts of weird and wonderful positions when under general anaesthetic and their brains aren't telling their joints that they are in danger. If your goal is increased mobility then an emphasis on movement quality could be the way to go.
Have a look at:
Rolling, rocking and crawling
Breathing
PNF stretching
Eccentric strength exercises
Intrinsic foot strength
...movement is medicine

Top Bottom