Do the conditions of your hamstrings affect your cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haye13

This may be a stupid question but here we go.

Im not very flexible, I cant touch my toes and when i extend my legs I cant straighten them.

My legs get tired fairly easily on the bike.

I presume stretches (which I've always neglected) will help my solve this but will I notice a difference on the bike?

Thanks In Advance

Nathan

Slick

Guru
I will leave the specifics of your question to others, but I do know that most of us would benefit from doing more stretching exercises.

OP
OP
H

haye13

I will leave the specifics of your question to others, but I do know that most of us would benefit from doing more stretching exercises.
I know, ive ordered a book that has aload of cycling stretches in it see if that helps.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't even get close to being able to touch my toes - mid-shin is about the lowest that I can go. Not being able to straighten your legs sounds a bit odd though - they must be straight when you are standing!

I can ride 200+ km even with my lack of flexibility so I don't think that is your problem. It sounds like you just need to get fitter. Also: Take a look at your position on the bike too, and make sure that you are not struggling in too high a gear - you should be able to turn the pedals round without excessive effort.

Having said that, improving flexibility is probably a good idea. I should do something too. I get backache just sitting around or walking and sometimes on the bike.

Slick

Guru
I know, ive ordered a book that has aload of cycling stretches in it see if that helps.
It will as usual depend on age, level of fitness etc. Some will probably argue that you can weaken stretched muscle, but it depends on your goals.

OP
OP
H

haye13

I can't even get close to being able to touch my toes - mid-shin is about the lowest that I can go. Not being able to straighten your legs sounds a bit odd though - they must be straight when you are standing!

I can ride 200+ km even with my lack of flexibility so I don't think that is your problem. It sounds like you just need to get fitter. Also: Take a look at your position on the bike too, and make sure that you are not struggling in too high a gear - you should be able to turn the pedals round without excessive effort.

Having said that, improving flexibility is probably a good idea. I should do something too. I get backache just sitting around or walking and sometimes on the bike.

Ive probably worded the straightening my legs thing wrong . I could probably do with checking my position on the bike do you have any tips?

OP
OP
H

haye13

It will as usual depend on age, level of fitness etc. Some will probably argue that you can weaken stretched muscle, but it depends on your goals.
Im 18, my goal is essentially to get alot fitter on the bike faster, further.

Slick

Guru
Im 18, my goal is essentially to get alot fitter on the bike faster, further.
Don't get too wrapped up in the stretching thing then, at your age your more than likely just needing more miles under your belt. You can't start good habits too young though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
In general it is advised that you don't won't your hamstrings to be too tight. It's something I've been told about by my physio after my fractured spine. Before that accident I could just about get my hands flat on the floor but I can still touch the floor which isn't bad considering the injury.

Chrisz

Über Member
Greater hamstring flexibility will enable you to get lower down at the front - more aero - and thus expend less energy for a similar speed/extend ride times before fatigue sets in etc. It also means that the muscles will not be working already extended and thus can contract more efficiently (in the same way it's much easier to dig a hole when you have plenty of elbow room - you can be more efficient!)

vickster

Legendary Member
Work all your muscles, loosen up one bit, something else will tighten. Stretches and foam rolling...alsolook at other forms of exercise like walking, swimming

Top Bottom