Do the pro's really pee whilst riding along ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

My impression of the rhythm of the pro-races is that having been on the bike for a bit, where the body's position has caused the body's juices to flow a bit and pressure to build up along with a breakaway with non-threatening riders having made it up the road, the patron of the peloton will decide upon a "natural break" by the side of the road.
Those in the breakaway use this pause to buffer their lead but themselves have less comfortable options.

In the Amstel Gold this year, the riders in the breakaway had a bit of fisticuffs because they couldn't agree on where to stop for a slash.

RaRa

Two words:

Paula Radcliffe :laugh:

Ok, so not a cyclist, but still, it is a start...

Must be some sort of trick to it as I don't recall saeeing ladies hop off their bikes and squat in gutters on Eurosport! :eek:

Just googled the topic and in doing so set off several internet security triggers at work which i'm really hoping I don't have to explain. I think I'll wait till I'm at home before trying again :whistle:

Or this
I can only imagine how the women manage a "natural break" on the move...
Or this?

How-women-pee.jpg

Svendo

Guru
On one of the vuelta stages, the speed slowed down at the beginning of a climb, the camera cut back to looking at the front of the peloton from ahead and I think Rodriguez was there being pushed by a domestique clearly doing the 'twist to the right' maneuver described above. Only the poor resolution prevented his 'little RODriguez' being clearly visible, although the verge could be seen getting a good dose of nitrogen.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Damn it! Even more reason to get fit enough for the front of the pack!

RaRa

Or this

Or this?

How-women-pee.jpg
That is an awesome set of drawings! Last time I got caught short I accidentally flashed an entire family who had stopped to look at the ponies and ended up seeing something entirely different! So i'll give it a go even though I suspect i'm just gonna end up with soggy shoes :biggrin:

oldroadman

Veteran
OK. Of course you need to go in long races. The reason for early stops is simply being a bit coffee fuelled and very well hydrated, so having to empty is essential to comfort. As a male it's easy to stop or simply do the job on the move, downhill solo or pushing with a team mate on the flat. Of course, in really wet weather (like Carlisle-Blackpool in this year's ToB), there's no problem and no-one ever knows, the rain cleans you nicely, kit gets washed...get the picture?
As for the ladies, I can't recall being terribly interested, but they do have stops, just are a bit more discreet about it generally. Their races are not shorter for that reason, anyway!
The funny diagram seemed to need no-hands riding anyway, which is fine until something happens and you need a hand for the bars, which has all kinds of less than pleasant possibilities..
For whoever mentioned black shorts, well that might have been true, but not nowadays!

All this is probably why team mechanics pressure wash a bike before they touch it!

Crosstrailer

The sport I played for many years and now coach in it is routine to pee on the field if necessary. Not pleasant, and it doesn't have a lot, but it happens.

Top Bottom