Do we all aspire to a better spec bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My current commuter bike will be 19 years old next April and is starting to show her age. I think I'll retire her when she hits 20 and keep her as a backup.

I've got my eye on a replacement already and it's this...

Raleigh_2012_nightflight_premium_11g_he-lpr.jpg

The only problem is I can't get it in the UK and will have to ship it in.

GC

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Yes you can - if you work at it! After about 2 months in bed last year, my leg muscles had atrophied, but now they are starting to get strong again.

I've been thinking - if I could afford it, I would buy a new Ti or 953 steel light touring/audax bike to replace my Basso.
What I meant was: once you have reached a certain level of fitness, that's it, you have reached your peak, unless you are an atlete and riding is your profession of course. Also, with age, your fitness will decrease, that's life.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What I meant was: once you have reached a certain level of fitness, that's it, you have reached your peak, unless you are an atlete and riding is your profession of course. Also, with age, your fitness will decrease, that's life.
The thing is - unless you have been an elite athlete, there is probably a lot of room for improvement. You could offset most (if not all) of the decline due to ageing by workng at it. I know somebody in his 70s who still races, and does pretty well.

Obviously, if you live long enough, old age will eventually get to you. I will be happy if I can do what I am doing now when I am 85!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 2819720, member: 9609"]there is an extender tube in there - I have a knackered back - gettin old[/quote]
There is an older (than me!) female cyclist who does a lot of long distance audax rides in these here hilly parts and her stem is about twice as long as yours. Good on you both for not letting your back problems stop you riding! :bravo:

Last edited:
I would like another bike but nothing flash, maybe a Triban 5A, I ride a Viking Torino that has RS10 wheels and I have upgraded the 7sp to 8sp, I avg 15-16mph which is what i wanted when i started, the reason I would like another is so I can have one kitted for dry weather and another for wetter weather and transport. The Viking will weigh normally between 13 and 18Kg's depending what I am doing/carrying. I have an old Carleton frame that will get done up at some point but it does need a sand blast and a decent paint job.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Bought an entry level bike back in summer. Didn't cost much as I wasn't sure I would enjoy cycling......However I have become addicted !!!
Now I have decided to upgrade to a boardman in the new year. Every bloke needs a new toy now and again .....It's the law !

SWSteve

Guru
I would say yes. The first bike I have personally bought is a Specialized Secteur, and that's off the roads now. I have replaced it with an Allez sport, but in a couple of years I may end up with some full carbon wonder bike. I'll see how I feel, as I love the idea of several bikes.

Cupra

I am still on my journey of turning what was 25stone of lazy smoking blubber to a healthy non smoker. I have lost a lot of weight and stopped smoking but I am far from my ideal.
Once I am there and hopefully part of a club doing the odd sportive I can see me wanting something lighter.

outlash

also available in orange
My current bike (Cannondale CAAD8) does me fine for the riding I do, but I like the idea of another bike that can have mudguards and a rack so it could be used for shopping/winter bike/out with the kids duties.

Tony.

vickster

Legendary Member
Once my steelie is built, I probably have everything I want...that said, I am fickle and like change and having new shiny things so you never know!

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I am still on my journey of turning what was 25stone of lazy smoking blubber to a healthy non smoker. I have lost a lot of weight and stopped smoking but I am far from my ideal.
Once I am there and hopefully part of a club doing the odd sportive I can see me wanting something lighter.
That's awesome mate....keep going

Top Bottom