Do we really need to wrap new bikes in cotton wool through the winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I bought a new bike after getting some excellent advice from the forum. I planned to use the old bike for commuting and keep the new bike for the weekend but the truth is, as soon as I sat my backside on the new bike I quickly made up my mind that I wouldn't use anything else. I give it a good clean at night and a good spray all over before putting it back in the garage but it seems this isn't enough. The rear brake started jamming on, so I put it in for its free check and it turns out it was rusting inside. The guy fixed it no problem, but his advice was not to ride it in the winter to avoid more problems. Is this a thing or would you expect a new modern bike to be able to withstand a few weeks of winter use?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Utter and complete bollox.

What bike have you bought?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Genesis Equilibrium. The bike rides great but I couldn't believe the advice. It does sit all day at work but it's in its own heated room.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Also got a bit of a row for my choice of oil on the chain. It's far too heavy apparently reducing slick gear changes and I must use his stuff. I'm not usually that gullible, but something changes in me when it comes to the bike. :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Keep it clean, spray the shiny bits with ACF or Duck Oil (GT 85 don't cut it in comparison) and enjoy the ride.

If brake pivots etc are suffering already I'd wait til the Missus is out, drag in in lounge with the work stand, and take it right down to its component parts, cleaning and properly lubing/greasing every thread, fastener, pivot and bearing as I went. Sounds like its just been assembled dry out the box by a Muppet in a hurry.

S-Express

and properly lubing/greasing every thread,

Not sure I'd be 'lubing/greasing every thread' as that would alter the torque specs, which on some key bolts would not be a good idea.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Keep it clean, spray the shiny bits with ACF or Duck Oil (GT 85 don't cut it in comparison) and enjoy the ride.

If brake pivots etc are suffering already I'd wait til the Missus is out, drag in in lounge with the work stand, and take it right down to its component parts, cleaning and properly lubing/greasing every thread, fastener, pivot and bearing as I went. Sounds like its just been assembled dry out the box by a Muppet in a hurry.
That's a distinct possibility. I have been spraying it, not quite sure what with, but it's a muck off product which I assumed was just a glorified wd40. I'll be more specific with where I'm spraying in future.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's open to engineering debate somewhat, depending on the lube/anti seize and application, but not in the least bit insurmountable - there are tables available for each thread size and type of lube, so its just a case of being able to read and use a torque wrench (a tool you can bet the spode doing the assembly didnt use).

The bike shop have already proven a dry assembly isn't suitable, and if pivots are seizing after the first ride then threads won't be far behind them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
That's open to engineering debate somewhat, depending on the lube/anti seize and application, but not in the least bit insurmountable. The bike shop have already proven a dry assembly isn't suitable, and if pivots are seizing after the first ride then threads won't be far behind them.
Not to be pedantic, but it's not the first ride. Still only 6 to 8 weeks old and cleaned and sprayed after each ride.

Tin Pot

Guru
I bought a new bike after getting some excellent advice from the forum. I planned to use the old bike for commuting and keep the new bike for the weekend but the truth is, as soon as I sat my backside on the new bike I quickly made up my mind that I wouldn't use anything else. I give it a good clean at night and a good spray all over before putting it back in the garage but it seems this isn't enough. The rear brake started jamming on, so I put it in for its free check and it turns out it was rusting inside. The guy fixed it no problem, but his advice was not to ride it in the winter to avoid more problems. Is this a thing or would you expect a new modern bike to be able to withstand a few weeks of winter use?

Mine takes a battering as well, its why people started talking of winter bikes in the first place. The wet, cold, the extra oil, metal and glass on the roads, not to mention gritting if that happens near you...it all takes it's toll.

But.

Wrapping it up won't save it - using it and cleaning it afterwards and lubing as appropriate will keep it ship shape :smile:

Top Bottom