Do you carry a chain splitter in your toolkit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've searched the very recesses of my memory and I'm pretty sure I've ever had a chain failure. I used to carry one, and then I made myself the lightest chainbreaker in the world by attacking a Finish Line Chain pup with a hacksaw. And then I gave up carrying even it. Chains shouldn't break.
I've twice had a chain go. Once was possibly down to my not having joined it correctly, but the other was on the original chain, after three years or so of use, and it hadn't been off the bike.
It's one of those things - you hardly ever need a chain tool, but if you do need it, and you haven't got it, you're stuffed.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm another one lucky enough never to have broken a chain but have recently added a splitter and couple of links to both of the bags I regularly use.

This was after meeting a local cycling group down a remote lane. They were having to jury-rig a wrecked rear mech and the thought of being in that position with the option of a 20 mile walk home or a long wait miles from anywhere for help to arrive didn't appeal at all.

Yes, on a Topaek Alien II

I also carry
  • Both 1 and 2 link sections of singlespeed chain. On fixed you can't shorten the chain if a link goes.
  • 1 link section of 9sp chain
  • 2 9sp quicklinks (or whatever thay are called)
I have twice had a chain go on me and have provided assistance to others in need.

G-Zero

Über Member
Yes - Park Tools Ibeam 3; and split links.

I mainly got them for my hols in France, where it's very rural and I don't have the same back up as at home.

They stay in my saddle bag all year round and fingers crossed, that's where they'll stay, as to date I've never needed them.

2old2care

Über Member
In answer to the thread title, yes I do, and a missing link also :thumbsup:
+1 chain splitter and powerlink. When repairing a puncture a pair of cyclists asked if I was ok, and a motorist offered to shine his headlights on my bike for me^_^ How nice.

Top Bottom