Do you change down gears before stopping at traffic lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thursday guy

I find that I can get off to a quicker start than almost everyone else when I change down before I stop and start pedaling at a low gear. But this obviously requires changing gears very often, which I'm not sure if you're meant to do?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do what ever you like. If it works for you (and it works for me) then go for it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I do when I remember to, better that than to try starting in too high a gear and trying to downshift when you are only pedalling slowly.
BTW gears are there to be used, I don't think you wear them out by changing but you can hear the click,click. graunch of someone trying to downshift behind you quite regularly.

swansonj

Guru
No, I change down gears after stopping at the traffic lights. (Irritatingly smug hub-gear user speaking. I definitely choose lower gears for pulling away from static on my hub-geared solo than the dérailleur tandem, because it's so much easier.)

screenman

Legendary Member
Most times i do, for quicker gataways, but there are so many things to remember, change gear, unclip, brake. no wonder people RLJ :whistle:

Do you actually have to think about those things?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No, I change down gears after stopping at the traffic lights. (Irritatingly smug hub-gear user speaking. I definitely choose lower gears for pulling away from static on my hub-geared solo than the dérailleur tandem, because it's so much easier.)
I was waiting for a reply from a Rohloff rider, smug git. :biggrin: (I'm jealous really, I've been known to lift my back wheel up a touch and grab a gear 2 or 3 down from the one I've stopped in if there is a hill after the lights.) :whistle:

Top Bottom